Don't look back

:

This happened to my mother’s uncle in the 70s in India. I couldn’t believe this story when my mom first told it to me but after meeting her uncle a year before he passed away, my view changed.

My mother’s uncle, who I’ll just call unc. for short, lived in a rural Indian village. Electricity was present, but unreliable and the entire village basically became pitch black once the sun went down. Unc. was a sharp, well-respected accountant; he’d ride his bike long distances to meet with clients. This one evening, he was riding back home from a neighboring village and the path was particularly dark and desolate. As he was riding, he heard a voice calling out to him from behind. He knew there was no one else around but this voice sounded like his daughter’s. He knew this wasn’t possible because his daughter had died at age 5. Very scared, he peddled faster and tried not to turn around. In Indian superstition, you shouldn’t look back to hear voices of loved ones or friends calling you like this on dark, lonely roads because it is said it is demonic entities trying to trick you to get your attention. For some reason, unc. looked back and from that point, he was never the same again. He made it back home, but was deeply disturbed and mentally unstable for the remainder of his life. A once intelligent accountant was reduced to a dejected, mumbling, mental case. He refused to talk about what he saw to anyone, including me when I met him.

That look in his eyes when I met him freaks me out til this day.

-SoundInvasion

Short Horror Storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें