THIRTY SIX

JJ, Topper and I all stood outside the courthouse, staring at the intimidating building, naturally none of us wanted to go in and face this day, but we had to. "Here goes nothing." JJ muttered, forcing himself to enter the building, Topper and I followed, I couldn't keep the tip of my thumb out of my mouth as we rode up in the elevator. I hadn't realized I was bouncing my heeled foot until the other guy in the elevator cleared his throat. "Sorry." I whispered, forcing my foot to stay still. Topper shot the man a small glare, before wrapping an arm around my shoulder, he gave JJ and I a reassuring look. "Whatever happens, we'll be fine." He spoke, looking between us, and god I couldn't help but pray that he was right. "Let's do this." I sighed, stepping off the elevator, hand in hand with Topper, JJ coming to the other side of me, grabbing my other hand, I didn't care how it looked, me walking hand in hand with two guys, I wanted to be there for JJ so I was doing it.

We've been sitting here for five hours, the jury is beginning to return, and I was becoming extremely anxious, my knee bouncing up and down, "it's alright, breath love." Topper whispered, kissing my cheek quickly, sitting back to his full height as the jury piled back into their seats. I grabbed JJ's hand as he began to show his anxious habits as well, I squeezed him tightly, "it's going to be okay." I assured him, going silent as the lead juror stood up. Here we go, here we go, "on the count of second degree murder, we find the suspect not guilty. On the count of home invasion, we find the suspect not guilty." Their words rang out through the room, we all fell silent, I don't believe anyone was expecting that, especially not Peterkin who whipped her head around to look at me. JJ began trembling beside me, I could see his father smiling smugly at him, that son of a bitch, who knows what he'll do to JJ for being here, hoping that he would get locked up. "Kenzie, breath." Topper shook me from my thoughts, I took a big gasp, not realizing that I really had stopped taking breaths. "He's guilty, how could you do this!" JJ shouted standing up, I grabbed his arm, the judge glared at him, "sit down!" He slammed his gable on the desk, "JJ." I hissed, yanking him down. "What the hell?" I whispered, not wanting to get myself in trouble. "Luke Maybank, you're free to go." The judge declared, the corrections officer went and took his handcuffs off, leading him out the back door. I shook my head, "Topper, he's going to beat the shit out of JJ." I cried, not caring that JJ was begging me not to, "JJ, if we're going to help you, he needs to know what's happening." I snapped, not meaning to hurt his feelings, "please, J." I pleaded, he clenched his jaw but nodded.

"He what?" Topper whisper shouted, "is that true?" He looked to JJ who nodded, "I've seen it before, Topper, I'm afraid he might end up killing him." I sighed, honestly, once Luke gets going when he's high, there's no stopping him. "Stay with us." Topper spoke matter of factly, "we have the room." He added, JJ looked at me with wide eyes. "I can't, I can't do that to you." I shook my head at his words, "JJ, I'd be happier knowing you were safe, I want you to stay with us, please." I begged him, people had started filing out of the courtroom, I stood, "please." I spoke again, "I'll stay with John B?" He offered, wanting to bargain with me. I chewed my lip in thought, as we were ushered out of the room. "Fine, but you have to tell him what happened, and you promise you won't go back to your house by yourself?" I compromised, not feeling wonderful about it, but I knew he wouldn't budge. "Deal." He sighed, hating that I was treating him like a child, but I had to protect him. I had to protect everyone.

"Topper, stay here, I'll be back soon." I gave him a quick kiss as he nodded, putting the car in park in front of the chateau, we were dropping JJ off, and I was going inside to make sure he told John B what really happened today. I anxiously stood as JJ spoke, telling John B everything that happened, I was able to hold it together until JJ started crying, John B and I both hugging him tightly. "I know, J, I know." I whispered, smoothing out his wavy blonde hair, "it's gonna be alright." I soothed him, doing my best to keep my words clear, not wanting to sound strangled. "I've got him, Kenzie, maybe you should just head out." John B muttered, giving me a soft smile as I moved away from the two best friends, I nodded, leaving without another word. As soon as I climbed into the car, I let the sob tear through me, Topper didn't hesitate to hold me as close as he could in the car. "Kenz, it's alright." He whispered, kissing my temple as I cried, I shook my head, "it's not, Topper! Luke killed my mom and he's not getting punished for it! And he beats his son for god sakes and still, he just gets to walk away a free man, it's fucked up!" I snapped, he knew I wasn't angry with him, he knew I was angry with the world, but still he loosened his grip, giving me space to sulk. "Let's just go home." He mumbled, throwing the car in reverse and turning it around as I nodded, silently looking out the window, an endless stream of tears running down my cheeks.

"Baby girl." Topper whispered, I felt his hand gently rest on my thigh, squeezing it lightly. I hummed a muffled yeah. I heard him laugh lightly, I squinted my eyes open, looking around, I must've fallen asleep in the middle of my crying. The tears were still wet on my face, Topper cupped my cheeks, gently running his thumbs under neath my eyes, "hi, pretty girl." He mumbled, smiling softly at me. "Let's go inside." He added, grabbing my hands and pulling me to stand up outside of the car. "I'm sorry." I sniffled, feeling embarrassed for my outburst earlier, I was beyond emotional today and he didn't deserve to be treated like that. "For what?" He looked confused, shutting the door behind me, gently escorting me up the steps and into the house. "For yelling at you. For being such a mess all the time." I whispered, cringing when he froze behind me. "Kenzie, don't apologize for that. You're only human, you've got to let it out, you've been through way way way too much." He wrapped his arm around my waist, kissing my forehead softly. "You're too good to me." I teased lightly, turning the doorknob after he unlocked it. "I think it's the other way around." He laughed softly, walking in behind me. I kicked my heels off, laughing when one of them landed sitting straight up. "That takes skill." I joked, sighing in relief to be out of those god awful shoes, I untucked my blouse from my skirt, taking a deep breath. "I hate dressing up." I muttered, dramatically rolling my eyes. "But you look so pretty." Topper pointed out, matter of factly. I quirked a brow at him, "are you saying I don't look pretty the rest of the time?" He went wide eyed by my statement, "of course you do!" He rushed his words out. I let the laugh fall from my lips, "I'm just teasing, baby." I wrapped my arms around his neck, "I love you, thank you for being so amazing." I kissed him quickly, smiling as he picked me up off the ground for a moment. "I love you, thank you for being the best girl in the world." He responded, giving me one last kiss to the forehead before setting me down. Surely we would make it, we were happy and in love and that's all that mattered.