TWENTY ONE

It's been five days since the funeral, I've returned home, but I've still been going over regularly to help Topper pack and clean out the house, the furniture was very much not his style, it was all too fancy, so he decided he'd include it in the sale of the house. The realtor was coming over today with a photographer, so he was hiding away the last of the clutter, although we had gotten a lot done, also thanks to my dads help, he's been going over with me, helping Topper with financial advice. Topper has been able to get the bank account into his control, which means he can start looking for his own place, that was good, he was still planning on me moving with him, as far as I know, he hasn't spoken to my dad about it. I went down my checklist as I hurried myself from my thoughts, I had my first actual photo shoot today, a neighbor I've known for years, she saw my photos and asked if I could do portraits of her daughter, Lilly, she was five, and cute as a button. Of course I agreed, it was a great first gig. "I'm heading to the Michaels house!" I called out to my dad, who replied with a muffle okay as he was on the phone, I decided to just walk over there, no need in loading up into my car for a minute long drive.

I smiled as the door swung open, revealing Mrs. Michaels, "let's get started!"

***

"Topper, I'm telling you, it was one of the best days of my life!" I exclaimed as he started up his car, he picked me up after the photo shoot, claiming he had a date planned, normally he doesn't surprise me with a date, so I was a little nervous for what was going to happen. "I believe you, babe." He laughed at my happiness, I gave him a fake pout, he leaned over and pecked me quickly before slowly exiting the driveway. "So I don't get to know where we're going?" I asked him, looking out the window, watching as the tree's slowly started dissipating as we drove closer to the beach front area. "Check the glove box." He muttered, trying to figure out why his gps was freaking out on him, I chuckled and popped open the glove box, my eyebrows pulling together as I pulled out three sheets of paper, each of them a house listing. "I want you to help me pick." He spoke, answering my question before I could ask, my heart fluttered at the thought. "Really?" I whispered happily, reading over each page, they all sounded very nice, I couldn't wait to see them in person. "Of course, the second page is the one we're going to first." He smiled as he spoke, I glanced down at the second page. A three bedroom, two and a half bathroom home, more than he needed for sure but there weren't really any small homes in this area, the square footage was insane, almost two thousand, I nodded as we rolled to a stop in front of the house. "It's pretty." I gasped, it looked beachy, it wasn't like the typical fancy looking one, which I liked. "Shall we?" Topper smiled, waving at the realtor who stood in the driveway, I nodded, climbing out of the car, him following.

"Woah." Topper spoke under his breath as we walked in, it had light grey flooring through out, the walls were an off white, the kitchen was freaking gorgeous, the cabinets were a light ocean color which we both surprisingly loved. It was two stories, the half bath was downstairs, off of the living room, all the bedrooms and other two bathrooms were upstairs, everything was updated, he wouldn't have to do anything except furnish it, which was pricey, but we all know he could afford it with the sale of his current five bedroom house. "This is really nice, baby." I muttered as we walked around the upstairs, the realtor stayed in the kitchen, giving us privacy to speak about the home. "It is." He agreed, sighing as I wrapped my arms around his torso, placing a kiss to his clothed back. "I don't even want to see the other ones." He admitted, I was shocked but didn't disagree, this one was more than perfect, especially as a starter home. "You're sure?" I asked, walking to be in front of him, he looked down at me, a smile plastered across his face. "What do you think about it?" He questioned, chewing on his lip as he placed a hand on my cheek lovingly. "I think it's amazing, you could do so much here. Think of the friends you could have over and-" He cut my rambling off, "I don't want to have friends over, I want to have you here." I blushed at his words, "remember what I said." I cautioned him, it was nearly the end of August, he still had at least two and a half months until I turned eighteen, and then the fact that he has to ask my dad, per my request. "I know, not until you turn eighteen." He mumbled, my eyebrows shot up, "and?" I egged him on, surely he didn't forget.

"Your dad? He already said yes, why do you think he's spent so much time with me when we were packing?" Topper laughed at my shocked face, he already asked, no one told me, I kept opening and closing my mouth but no words came out. "He said yes?" I cupped Topper's face, forcing him to meet my eyes, he better not be playing with me. "Yes." I squealed in excitement when I knew he was telling the truth, I practically jumped on him, I was terrified and ecstatic at the same time. "Topper oh my god, I'm gonna live with a boy." I fake groaned, making him release his grip, almost sending me to the floor. I glared at him, "it was a joke." I assured him, laughing at his dramatic reaction, he was acting like a child, a pout upon his face, not meeting my eyes. I decided to tease him a little, gently running my hand under his shirt, along his toned torso, I stood on my tip toes, "besides, you're not a boy, you're a man." I slowly pulled away once I had whispered in his ears. I could feel the goosebumps rise to his skin from my touch, "damn you, Kenzie." He groaned, following me as I walked down the steps. "I'll take it." He spoke to the realtor, a shocked expression coming across his face, "great!"