CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

"Can you page Dr Karev, please?" He asked the nurse and she nodded before taking the phone out and contacting the doctor. Mark leaned against the nurses desk and hid his face in his elbow, trying to gather his thoughts and calm himself down. 

"He says," Mark lifted his head up quickly as the nurse began to speak, "He'll be down as soon as he can but he's in a surgery right now." 

"Can you tell him- No, forget it. I'll tell him myself." Mark stormed to the stairwell, not bothering to wait for the elevator. Jackson and Owen decided to search the hospital for her - she might have gone there to crash in an on-call room.

---

"Karev." Mark walked through the door to the O.R with a mask held over his mouth.

"What is it? I'm busy." Alex snapped, not taking his eyes away from his patient that was open on the table.

"It's Vanessa," Alex lifted his head, "She...did you hear from her last night?" 

"No. Should I have?" He asked, instantly handing the scalpel over to an intern stood next to him.

"Can I speak to you outside, please?" Mark asked, willing his voice not to crack. Alex looked at the other surgeons in the room, deciding they could handle it without him. He ripped his mask and gloves off and began to scrub out.

"What happened?" He asked, looking at Mark as he scrubbed his hands.

"She was crying ab-about something - she didn't tell me what. And then she just got up and started packing a bag - she just left. Ran away." Mark explained, tears stinging his eyes as he recalled the memories that flooded through his brain.

"She just kept saying 'I have to leave. I have to go.'" His voice broke and Alex sighed. He had guessed that something like this would happen at some point but he thought it would be a lot later on.

"She...she thinks that she's a burden on everyone here," Alex started as he dried his hands, he knew Vanessa wouldn't want him to say anything but it was crucial, "I think you taking the knife for her was the tipping point. She kept her emotions at bay while you were here and I think being home and seeing the place where it happened opened the floodgates," Alex sighed, leaning on the sink and looking at Mark, "It's not your fault - she never even recovered from Jamie's death and now she's here and everything is piling on. She thinks she brought all of the bad things - that we would all be better without her." 

Mark covered his mouth with a shaky hand, tears clouding his vision. Alex had never seen Mark more distraught - not even when Vanessa was in the hospital - and it put him on edge more, usually Mark was at-least a little bit calm but it looked like he had completely lost all reason.

"I can text her - see if she'll answer me?" He offered as he opened the scrub room door and walked out into the corridor, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

Mark nodded his head, unable to form the words to express what he was feeling. Vanessa had brought everything good into his life. Before her he was just a whore that slept around because he was afraid of falling in love and getting hurt. But he would get hurt for her a thousand times over. 

Alex put his phone back in his pocket after he sent the message and they went back to the reception where Owen and Jackson were waiting, having looked in every on-call room and cupboard that Vanessa could have gotten into. 

"What about asking-"

"We're already taking three of the doctors - we don't need to take any more." Owen turned to face Jackson as the four of them started to walk out of the doors.

"Wait! We're coming." Derek called as he, Cristina and Lexie joined the group. Hunt looked at them incredulously before looking at the original group of men.

"Wasn't me." Alex shrugged and Mark shook his head. Owen's gaze turned to Jackson who was desperately trying to shrink into himself.

"Avery?" 

"Alright. I texted Lex. But I told her not to tell anyone." Jackson hissed and Owen pinched the bridge of his nose. 

"No-one else knows. No-one else is coming with us." He announces and everyone nods as they walk into the parking lot. They unconsciously formed a circle to begin to strategize who was going where.

"Right. Groups. Me and Sloan," Owen announced and Mark nodded, "Karev and Avery," They looked at each-other exasperatedly but nodded their heads, "Shepherd you go with Yang and Grey." Everyone nodded, happy with their groups.

"Look everywhere, text her as many times as you can - she's bound to answer to someone. As soon as you get an answer or you find her you page or call me or Sloan alright? When you do find her, do whatever you can to get her to come back here with you. Here. Not whoever's place, not Joe's, not a hotel somewhere. Here. The hospital." Owen ordered, his army side coming screaming out. 

"Go." Everyone dispersed, getting in their respective cars and driving out of the hospital, all trying to find one very small, very sneaky, Vanessa Hunt.

*******************************************************

A/N: here this is :/

What do you think of Vanessa running away?

there's probably a lot of mistakes here so just let me know <3

Thanks for reading :)