The Purge

"It has infected her mind."

"She is getting weaker."

"It will take a while for her to overcome this."

These were some of the tidbits of conservation I picked up. But most of the time I was asleep. And for some reason, I couldn't wake up.

My mind kept replaying the images of what happened that night. Kachi and her daughter, the broken body, the man comforting her. I tried to wake up, but it wouldn't allow me to.

At one point I did wake up. I was lying in a bed, covered in blankets soaked with sweat. Raiko sat next to me, a worried look on his face. He turned to look at me, and when his did, I saw it wasn't his face, but Kachi's daughter's.

I screamed and flailed, trying to get away from her. She leaped up and began calling for a nurse. What was she doing?

Suddenly a woman ran in. She wore the red robes of a healer, but her face was Kachi's, full of hatred and revenge.

"Get away!" I cried out.

"Piandao, help us!" The woman I killed called. The man who had comforted her as she died rushed over and held down my arms.

"Badger, calm down," he said. "It's Piandao and Raiko. We're here to help you."

Suddenly the faces melted away and were replaced by theirs. I calmed down and the nurse shoved some sort of liquid down my throat.

"I can't do anymore for her," she said. "She needs to see Inya."

Piandao nodded. "How long will it take for her to get here?"

"I don't know. A couple of weeks. But without a good spirit to counter the bad that has taken her, she will either go completely insane or die."

Those were the last words I heard before passing out.

"Mara, come play with us!"

Who was Mara? I wondered. I turned around towards the voice and saw two little kids. They were dressed in Water Tribe clothing, and neither of them could be older than seven. The girl looked familiar, but I couldn't think from where. Then I noticed she was a near-exact copy of me, only younger. Her brother looked a lot like her, and therefore, a lot like me.

"Are you my Water Tribe family?" I asked.

The girl cocked her head and smiled. "Of course, silly. Who else would we be?"

I smiled. "I didn't know I had a brother and sister!"

"How could you not know? Come on, Mara and Katara, I want to play before we have to go home," The boy said.

I smiled and was about to go play a game with them, when all of a sudden their faces shifted and became Kachi's daughter's. I screamed and turned to run, only to find myself tumbling into a large hole.

"Stop!" I yelled.

"Stop what?" Said a startled voice next to me.

I turned and saw Raiko, eyes wide, poised to stand up. "Do I need to go get the nurse?"

I shook my head. "No, it's okay." I looked up at him. "Don't leave while I can see you, okay?"

Raiko smiled and took my hand. "Of course. I'll be right here."

"What's happening to me?"

He knit his eyebrows together. "The nurse says that a dark and vengeful spirit has taken over your mind. Not from the spirit world, but someone who has died and won't cross over."