~Chapter 5 : The Abscond~

Kennedy's POV

I sighed, once again. Today was awfully sluggish. Maybe it was just me, but I felt like the clock was mocking me, daring me to jump on a table and rip it right off the wall. I didn't though, obviously. Somehow, I managed to contain myself.

I was currently seated in my second class, Spanish. I stifled a yawn as I tried to pass time. Of course, I had absolutely no idea what was going on at the front of the classroom.

Having not slept the entire night last night, I could barely keep my eyes open. But I knew better than to fall asleep in class. I tried to keep myself occupied by doodling at the back of my Spanish textbook. This time, I dared not draw eyes, afraid I'll end up tearing this textbook as well.

After five long minutes of drawing SpongeBob, the bell finally rang. I quickly gathered all my stuff and rushed out of the class.

I groaned when I realised what my next class was. I hated PE with such a sheer passion, it could destroy the sun.

Kidding, it's not that deep. Kinda.

I sighed as I made my way to the library. Not being a very big fan of skipping classes, this was quite unusual for me. Nonetheless, I picked up a John Green book and walked to the aisle in the end. I put my bag down and settled on the floor, my back leaning against the shelf behind me.

• • •

"Boo," a soft whisper sounded in my ears and my eyes snapped open at the familiar, yet unfamiliar voice, if that makes sense. I threw a punch at the source of the sound, missed, and immediately got up on my feet.

I shook my head, looking around frantically, as I tried to locate the person. Until my eyes landed on him.

I blinked at him then rubbed my eyes before asking him, "How long have I been out?" I must've fallen asleep while reading.

"Five minutes," he said and I glared at him. "Why'd you wake me up, you asshole?" I whisper shouted at him.

"Hey, I'm sorry, okay?" He said and I just stared at him. I was not expecting him to give in that easily. I thought that he was probably going to say something along the lines of 'it's a book, not a pillow!'

He waved a hand in front of my face, and I realized that I had just been shamelessly gawking at him. I shook my head and picked up my stuff before turning to walk away.

Before I could even take a step though, he caught my wrist and turned me around.

I tried to free my hand, and when he didn't let go of his firm grip, I tried again, this time more aggressively. He finally took the hint and let go of me but said, "I just wanted to apologise... you know? For the asshole I've been. I'm sorry."

I couldn't help but gape at him. Was this jerk actually apologising? I didn't know what to say so I just nodded my head before whirling around and leaving again.

Suddenly, he was standing in front of me. I gasped and my hand went up to my throat. "How did you get here so fast?" I said, bewildered.

He simply shook his head as he brought out his hand out of his pocket, raising it towards me, asking for a handshake. My eyes just juggled back and forth between his face and his hand, hanging mid air, waiting for a handshake.

"I'm Aiden." He said. Aiden. His name was just as beautiful as he was. When he still didn't get any reaction out of me, for his greeting, though, he reached for my hand on his own and engulfed it in a warm handshake.