The Epilogue

It’s a beautiful day when the fire family gathers together again, in the firehouse where they all became family in the first place.

They’ve all come so far, and though Chim, Maddie and Hen are no longer a part of the 118, as promised, they always come together when it matters.

At this moment, Chim, Maddie, Hen, Karen, Athena, and all their kids combined sit straight ahead, as they watch Bobby perform the ceremony.

“We’re gathered here today to celebrate the vow renewal ceremony for Buck and Eddie.”

Neither groom can stop smiling as they look at each other, then at Chris, currently being held in both of their arms, looking so adorable in his tuxedo, then back at Bobby as he keeps speaking.

“Though this is the second time they’re committing to this marriage...”

Everyone gets a little uncomfortable at that, but it’s gone when they hear Bobby say next,

“It’s the first time they’ve chosen to do so on a foundation of committing to their son Christopher as well.”

Buck and Eddie are quick to squeeze Chris a little tighter at that, before they hear,

“It’s Buck and Eddie’s desire that they establish their vows, from here and for the rest of their lives, as a promise instead of a contract. Marriage is already a sacred institution between two people, meant to last for life, but it’s Buck and Eddie’s wish that it be extended to their son as well.”

Here, they both set Chris down, having practiced this with him at home.

Bobby starts with Buck, “Evan ‘Buck’ Buckley-Diaz, in the presence of your family, friends, and your son, do you promise to freely and unconditionally commit to your marriage to Eddie, and your fatherhood to Christopher?”

Buck replies without even a second’s hesitation, “I do.”

Then Bobby turns to Eddie, “And do you, Edmundo ‘Eddie’ Buckley-Diaz, do you promise to freely and unconditionally commit to your marriage to Buck, and your fatherhood to Christopher.”

Eddie gets a little choked up, but he quickly replies, “I do. With all my heart.”

Bobby then turns his attention to Chris, who listens to every word he says, as Bobby recites the Bible verse they’d both picked out,

“2 Samuel 9:7 says, ‘“Don’t be afraid,” David said to Jonathan, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather, and you will always eat at my table. Do you, Christopher Buckley-Diaz, promise to love both your father's unconditionally, even when they make you eat vegetables or go to bed early?”

That gets a laugh from everyone, glad for something to cut the seriousness, as Chris calls happily, “I do!”

With that, Bobby concludes,

“It’s my absolute pleasure for me to conclude this ceremony of vow renewal that joins you three together as husbands, and son. Please, seal this ceremony with a kiss.”

The first kiss is easy enough, as Buck and Eddie lean in, with all the heat they’d been saving for this exact day.

Cheers and whistles are heard for the 20 seconds they stay like that, but when they finally part, they both give a knowing smile, then pick up Chris, who squeals as they both pepper his cheeks with kisses.

Everyone starts laughing as they watch Chris squeal and try to wiggle out of their hold, but they don’t let up for a few more seconds, then finally let him go.

After that, everyone makes their way up to the loft, where a very impressive spread is laid out for all the guests, complete with a wedding cake with custom designed edible cake toppers.

When the grooms make it to the top of the stairs, Eddie turns to Chris, and asks,

“Which cake topper do you want? Peanut butter, or chocolate?”