Elke smiled and picked up her bags, following Marta as she turned and walked into the house, up the long staircase to the right.  They walked along a short passage past a door on their right which Marta identified as hers and Johann's and two more on the left.  'Tobias' and Bernhard's rooms.. here is yours.'  She led the way into a spacious room with a tall wardrobe along the left wall and a large double bed facing a sash window, partially open.  'To let the air freshen the room.'

Elke nodded.  'Thank you.. it is wonderful.. you have a beautiful home.. so kind of you to let me stay with you!'

Shaking her head vigorously Marta replied.  'Think nothing of it!  When Johann told me of your plight it was the least I can do.. and if it stops Franz worrying about you, so much the better!'

Her smile widening, Elke reached for one of her bags.  'I almost forgot!  This is for you.. for your kindness.'  She extracted a small flat box and handed it to Marta.

'Really.. you shouldn't have, it is no trouble!'  Marta untied the wrapping around the box exposing a label 'Schokolade Wien'.  She smiled warmly.  'We shall eat them together.. speaking of which.. come.. I have lunch ready.. I expect you are hungry!'

'I could eat a horse!'  Elke paused and laughed.  'Not literally of course!'  She followed Marta as they walkd back downstairs to eat. '

_________________________

Ashton knocked the door and waited nervously, tugging at the sleeves of his uniform jacket, the cuffs newly adorned with the three bands of a Wing Commander.  As he waited for a reply his mind drifted back to his departure from Tangmere, and he sighed a little wistfully.

'Yes well it was only a matter of time, you knew that John.. and besides at least..'

'Rhian will be happy.'  Ashton cut in.  'Yes Alf I know.'

Standing from his desk Bretherton smiled.  'Come on!  We'd better go break the news.. Tommy will be pleased!'

Eying him Ashton grinned, replying sardonically.  'Oh yes.. I'm sure he'll be thrilled to inherit all my paperwork!'  He brightened up at the thought.  'Every cloud has a silver lining Alf!'

Bretherton smirked.  'I'm sure that's what the officer you're replacing at HQ thinks as well..'

On his way out of the door, Ashton paused.  'Bugger.. I hadn't thought of that.. do you really think..'  He looked back at Bretherton who was grinning.  'Very funny Alf.'

The pair walked down the passage and entered the Officer's Mess.  As they entered the room fell unnaturally quiet and Ashton glanced around.  'What's up with you lot?  Why the long faces?'

Winslow spoke up first.  'Well.. err.. with the A.O.C. here and.. well he didn't look too happy when he found out you weren't here.'  He coughed.  'Somehow he'd heard you'd been shot down.. that's why he was here.'

'So you thought "Oh hello Skipper's in the shit!" eh Tommy?  I wondered why you gave me your uniform cap.. here you can have it back by the way.'  Ashton removed the cap and tossed it across to Winslow who caught it one handed and put it on.

'You mean you weren't?

Ashton paused.  'Yes.. well.. sort of.  I've been grounded.'

A chorus of dismay rippled around the room and he held up a hand to dispel it.  'Hold on chaps.. there's more..'

A worried eyebrow raised, Probert called out.  'Oh hell.. what else Skip?'