Chapter 18

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Alfelt stood up and stretched, glancing around the communications hut; a grand name, he mused, for what amounted to a room with a radio, telephone and telegraph.  He glanced around before leaving, his eye alighting on a machine in the corner; it looked like a typewriter but had wheels at the back and was connected to the radio cables.  'Was ist das?'  Pointing he indicated the object of his curiosity.

A Feldwebel followed his finger and nodded 'Ah.. that Herr Major is our new toy.  It is called Enigma and I am told that when we send encrypted messages through it the code is unbreakable..'

Catching the implication Alfelt raised an eyebrow 'You are told.. you are sceptical of the claim Feldwebel Schaefer?'

Schaefer paused before replying 'I meant no disrespect Herr Major!'

A shake of the head from Alfelt 'None taken, I am merely curious..'  He eyed the younger man 'Speak plainly.. that is not an order, merely a request..'

Clearing his throat Schaefer replied 'I merely meant that what man can make, man can break Herr Major.. If we can invent it then it is possible it can be broken..'

Alfelt considered the answer, true evidently, the logic inescapable, yet 'A fair point Feldwebel, but one I recommend you do not voice in public.  It could be viewed as criticism of your superiors..'

Schaefer winced 'Ja Herr Major.. Danke..'

Jerking his thumb toward the telegraph Alfelt queried 'When can you send those telegrams?'

Schaefer took them off the pile 'Right away Herr Major!'  He paused 'Was there anything else mein Herr?'

A shake of the head 'Nein danke..'  With that he turned on his heel and made his way along the corridor, passing his and Garsteck's offices, and turned left out of the building.  He glanced up at the darkening skies and grumbled 'If Franz doesn't get that bloody engine fixed in the next hour I'll be out of action for the mission tomorrow!'  Lip curling in annoyance as he contemplated the staffel having to take on that sortie without him he quickened his pace.  As he approached Dispersal however, Alfelt could hear whistling and he quickened his pace curious to see who was so happy and equally why.  He turned the corner around the barn being used as a hangar and located the source, Feldwebel Leitner leaning over the engine cowling whistling loudly, the ground crew around him failing to conceal their amusement.  Alfelt ignore them, and with the repairs in mind he called out 'Franz!  How are those fuel injectors?'

_________________________

The Bedford 30cwt truck pulled past the guardhouse at RAF Pembrey and came to a halt next to Dispersal.  Winslow pulled aside the canvas securing the back and the pilots all piled out of the back, while Ashton jumped down from the passenger seat at the front.

Winslow caught up to him and slapped him on the back 'Comfy ride Skipper?'

The sarcasm did not go unnoticed and Ashton smirked 'Yes thank you Tommy.. how kind of you to show concern for my welfare.. and you dear chap.. how was your journey?'

Growling Winslow accepted defeat and muttered 'After that journey I think my piles have piles!'

Ashton laughed 'Well you'll have a nice comfy parachute to sit your arse on for an hour or so..'