𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. a little less sixteen candles, a little more "touch me"

Start from the beginning

  It was the same routine again this year. Save for a certain new addition to their table: Meredith Darling trying to transfigure a painted ceramic bowl back into a ministry owl ( "I didn't mean to! It was a complete accident! I do hope the Ministry doesn't come after me for transfiguring one of their delivery owls." ).

  She didn't acknowledge that it was his birthday. It wasn't likely that she even knew that it was his birthday. Somehow, despite how ridiculous it was, he felt sort of hurt by it. Blaise gave him a subtle nod and smile. Zabini found out about his birthday in their First Year because he had accidentally opened his birthday letter. But he promised to respect Draco's privacy if he didn't want anyone else to know. Blaise Zabini, despite his flaws and misgivings, would be one of the most respectable wizards he would ever have the opportunity to meet.

  "I can't believe the year is almost over," Pansy sighed, stirring her soup. She was strange in many ways, from the way she wore her hair to the fact that she had to drink soup for breakfast. And not just any soup, only pumpkin soup. Blaise picked up his Charms book, flipping it open to a page about the Levitation Charm ( their Charms exam was in about two days ), and replied, "Well, I cannot wait for this bloody year to be over. These Defence Against the Dark Arts Professors never last thanks to Potter, so hopefully the hag will be gone by the time we return next Semester." Draco snorted. Potter did seem to have a penchant for fatally maiming or firing the DADA Professors yearly.

  "Well, I for one, want to get the O.W.Ls over with and go to sleep for a good forty-eight hours." Meredith groaned, slamming her face into her book. It had grown more colourful and scribbled upon as they approached the big day. Her eye bags had grown too from the lack of sleep. Draco was somewhat worried about her wellbeing but she would probably snap at him if he even mentioned it.  He was quite pleased with how he had kept together throughout this period. His teeth still shone and his robes still pressed to perfection. Except that strand of flyaway hair that would not fix itself.

  "I would," Theodore Nott mused, twirling his wand in his hand, leaning in from Meredith's left, "throw a couple of first years into the Lake. All for the Giant Squid of course. Not for my personal pleasure." Draco wondered why he chose to join a conversation that obviously did not include him in any way.

  "Morning, you jolly lot." Daphne Greengrass glided over to the table, unusually perky, reaching past Draco's head ( "Oi! Watch it, Greengrass." ) and snatching an apple from the fruit bowl. She glanced over to Blaise, "Thanks for the notes, by the way, Zabini." Draco glared at her retreating figure, What was she up to?

  Then Meredith's face lit up, all of a sudden, like a child under the tree on Christmas morning. Draco's head swivelled around to discover what brought her such joy. The merry band of Draco's favourite Gryffindors had just entered the hall ( Potter strutted, Weasley wobbled, Granger trailed ). He sneered, readying a onslaught of insults to throw in their direction. He hadn't seen them recently. Granger was probably keeping them locked up in the Gryffindor Common Room, studying.

  "Good morning, Meredith. Nice morning innit, Meredith?" Weasley called out, the abnormally large mouth on his freckled face stretching into a lopsided smile, blatantly ignoring the rest of the Slytherins. Meredith answered, a matching crooked smile on her face, "Absolutely lovely morning, Ronald. How's your studying going? Finally got a handle on that teacup spell?"

  Draco was aghast; how were they having such a pleasant conversation right over an entire group of Slytherins? Weasley flushed, "Bloody didn't. Spell went all bonkers and turned Seamus' duvet into a chicken. We spent a good thirty minutes trying to catch it and change it back. Seamus slept without a duvet last night. Anyways, want to help me with it, later? Harry's insisted we study by the Black Lake for some sunlight. Isn't that right, Harry?" He elbowed the shorter boy. Weasley towered above the two after his growth spurt in the summer.