Hesitation

© 2014 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

The reunion with Iris was slighty awkward. Probably because it was right before dinner and the Moon Goddess came early and decided to lecture Lorena on how to make the perfect moon cakes for desert before relinquishing her hold on Iris.

She was still the same old Iris and we both burst into tears when we saw each other. Lorena got a little teary eyed as well. We had a long talk about what the Moon Goddess was doing over rabbit stew and her epic tale of her nightly activities continued on until the mooncakes were ready.

Lorena passed each one out to us just as the break of dawn filtered through the wooden shutters. 

"It was strange." Iris recalled, cupping her chin. "To only remember fragments. I mean, either way we didn't do anything. She was merely getting me used to her body. She explained how her eternal life force replaced mine, even after she leaves my body in the morning, the life force left over is enough to sustain my physical body for a week."

I smiled, "That's amazing."

"Why is no one thinking about what's going to happen when the Moon Goddess finds her true vessel?" Castor growled low. 

"It's probably because no one wants to accept that just yet." Draver put in. "Besides, we should be grateful that Iris is alive through the Moon Goddess."

"And what? Just guess when the Moon Goddess finds a new vessel and ditches Iris' body? No. I refuse to let that happen."

To my surprise, Jazz pushed himself off the wall, his golden hair shimmering when the sunlight hit his head. "Neither will I."

Kendra sighed heavily. "Honestly, boys- the testosterone levels in my kitchen don't need to go up anymore. Goddess, I feel like one of us girls are gonna start growing beards with the amount of time we spend with you."

Alric stole Stark's mooncakes, "Guys. Dead person appearing at the front door pretty soon. Or at least someone who reeks of the dead."

I quickly stood up, peeking out of the window just as Evgeny's form blurred away in the trees. The doorbell rang a second after. Was he so fast that he left before the doorbell had a chance to ring? That was insane. That was like...Castor insane.

Kendra opened the door down the hallway as we waited in anticipation. She came back with a letter in between her forefinger and middle finger. She flicked it to me, "For you, Ms.Anosova."

Stark's arms darted out to catch the letter, and for the first time I got to see him use his vision affinity properly. His entire eye turned a light shade of purple as he scanned the letter front and back before blinking twice, switching back to his normal eagle eye vision. He handed the letter to me, "It's safe."

"Of course it is." I muttered, snatching it from the tips of his fingers. "Why would they kill their long lost daughter?"

Jazz cupped his chin in thought, "Perhaps...perhaps they wanted to you remain as their long lost daughter."

"That wouldn't explain why Evgeny was so happy-go-lucky when he saw me."

"Acting can go a long way, Katya." Draver put in, gesturing to Stark. "Take him for example. He has so many masks it's hard to distinguish which one is the real him."

Iris crossed her arms as she smiled. "I'm pretty sure the one afraid of kids is the real him."

"Anyways, open the letter." Alric grumbled. "I'm starting to get antsy. I hate suspense."

Doing as he told, I slid my tumb under the opening, avoiding my eyes from the red seal wax that held the family crest. I didn't need another round of intense nausea. I tucked the torn envelope under my arm and unfolded the letter. The writing was beautiful and flawless, nearly making me believe that it was typed. But I knew that it couldn't be true the second I saw smeared ink near my name- a teardrop.