Jade noticed Mark sitting in the corner, eyes closed as if he was in a trance. Renjun caught her staring and stood between them. Jade smirked as she looked him in the eyes.

"Jealous?" Jade asked. She noticed the tips of Renjun's ears turn red as their friends began to look up at him.

"No, why would I be jealous of him." Renjun quickly said, shoving the last knife into his belt, a little more forceful than usual. Jade chuckled to herself at his reaction, fully aware that he was trying to avoid her eyes.

Suddenly, Mark opened his eyes, inhaling sharply. The noise made the group stare at him. Mark's eyes had darkened, staring at the space in front of him.

"It's time to head out." Mark said, his voice deep and stern.

...

The group had made their way out to the edge of the mountain where the tree was located. It seems as though the gamemakers had decided to start a winter storm, as the wind began to blow the snow into their faces.

Renjun had told her that it was both a good and bad sign. Good as the nation probably had trouble seeing what they were about to do but bad as they had trouble seeing each other. If it weren't for their gold bracelets shining against their black jackets, Jade would have struggled to see all of them.

Jade took her place with Renjun on the edge of the cliff, just below where the tree was. Mark was right in front of them, his bow in his hand, his single arrow loaded. Chenle was by the tree, attaching the wires with Jisung by him, axe in hand as protection. Jaemin and Jeno were on the other side of the tree, guarding it from their side.

Jade covered he face with her hand, trying to stop the snow from entering her eyes. Renjun stood beside her, his black hood over his head so just the tips of his hair showed. Jade couldn't help but notice how handsome he looked, his dark eyes piercing hers as the snow fell into his hair.

Their moment was soon interrupted by the sound of a roar. Jade turned and was met by a pair of glowing eyes, around fifty feet from where she stood. Judging by the curse that escaped Renjun's mouth, he had seem them too.

"Mutts. Leopard-mutts." Renjun told her, quickly setting up his crossbow. Jade followed his taking out her throwing knives.

The others must have been facing the same as she head the sound of Jeno's sword cutting through flesh. Jade quickly turned her attention back to the feline staring into her eyes, waiting for it to get into a good position before throwing her knife into her chest. She continued throwing a few more until it fell into the snow.

Jade placed her left hand over her forehead, trying to block the snow from entering her eyes as she repeatedly threw her knives. Jade and Renjun must have taken down about five of them when she noticed the cougars start to turn their attention to Mark and Chenle.

Haechan was able to stop the first one as Jade and Renjun tried to slow them down but one of the cougars was sneaking up on Mark.

"Mark!" Jade called out. She watched as Mark's eyes widened as he saw the creature, looking towards Haechan, but Haechan was busy dealing with another mutt. Mark only had the golden arrow with him, leaving him defenseless against the mutt. Jade watched as the cougar was about to pounce onto Mark, but the body fell, an axe lodged into it's back. Jisung hopped down, removing the axe from the body before throwing it at the cougar approaching Chenle.

"They weren't kidding about his skill." Jade muttered as Renjun returned to her side. The wind had begin to die down, allowing Jade to see the countless bodies of the cougars around her. As she looked back down the mountain, she noticed a boy with a machete in his hand, running straight for them.

Before Jade could react, an arrow lodged into the District 6 boy's chest and a cannon sounded. Jade turned to see Renjun returning the crossbow to his back. Only the eight of them remained now.

"He would have killed us anyways." Renjun said told her as they looked towards the sky. Jade realized that they were completely exposed, and if Mark were to aim his arrow to the sky, the Capitol would be fully aware of what they were about to do.

The national anthem began to play and Mark began to draw back his bow. What surprised Jade, was the fact that Mark had turned, pointing the arrow straight at her.

"Mark Lee, what are you doing?" Jade yelled. Jade quickly gripped a knife in her hands as she gritted her teeth, staring at the boy. The others were glaring at her as well, as if she was the enemy.

"You're a traitor, aren't you?" Mark said, staring at her, speaking over the national anthem. Jade could see the faces in the sky from the corner of her eye but her focus was on Mark.

"What the heck Mark, how could you say that!" Jade exclaimed. Her eyes went from Mark, to Haechan, to Chenle, to Jisung, to Jaemin, and finally Jeno. They all had the same dark stares in their eyes.

"You're a Career, you trained for this. Why didn't you kill the cougar-mutt that was about to attack me?" Mark asked. Jade could feel tears fill her eyes. Why are they trying to kill me now?

Jade tried to turn her head towards Renjun but her back was up against his chest as she held her still. She tried to throw her knife but Renjun's grip was stronger. He held her wrist so tightly, she dropped the knife into the snow.

"How could you..." Jade's voice broke as the tears began streaming down her face. Was Renjun against me as well? The anthem stopped playing and the storm clouds began to appear above them.

"Just trust me, Jade." Renjun whispered into her ear as she braced for the impact of the arrow. Any second now, lighting will strike, electricity running through the wire and into the golden arrow, which will be lodged into my body.

Jade tried to closer her eyes but Renjun squeezed her tighter, a sign that she she should leave them open. The world around her began to move in slow motion.

Jade watched lightning fell from the sky, hitting the tree. As the current began flowing through the tree, Mark had switched his aim so that the arrow was now pointing towards they sky. He released the arrow, the arrow flying up towards the sky as the current began flowing through the wire attached to the arrow, sending what looked like a lightning bolt into the sky.

After that, the world turned black.

———————————————————————————
One more chapter left people :)

So i started my next dreamie book hehe