Chapter 29: The Pain of the Past

Around 7:15, Donnie walked into the Lab. He smiled when he saw Dee and Casey signing to each other with great speed. Casey greeted him with a nod before continuing what he was signing. Once he finished, Dee greeted Donnie with a smile before responding to Casey.

"She just told me to tell you that I applied lidocaine topical to the stitches around 5:35," Casey said to Donnie, who nodded.

"It was sore?" he asked both of them.

"Yeah, but she wasn't sure if she could take any meds just yet," Casey responded.

"All good. Lidocaine topical is a good option," Donnie smiled as he stood at the foot of the chair.

"Is anything else sore? You took a few good hits in the Foot's Van," he added. Delilah went to speak but signed to Casey instead.

"She said her ankle may have twisted, but she didn't feel it earlier," Casey said. Donnie nodded and went to his minifridge and freezer.

"I'll get some ice, okay?"

"She says 'Okay,'" Casey said.

"She also wants you to know that she had coffee earlier because she asked me to bring her some," Casey added. Donnie laughed.

"I'm not surprised," Donnie smiled. He got a washcloth and a small bag full of ice for Delilah's ankle. "Which ankle?"

"Her left," Casey said. Donnie nodded as he put the washcloth on her left ankle, followed by the ice.

"Is that okay?" Donnie asked. Delilah sent him a thumbs up. He smiled and nodded.

Dill came in a few moments later. Delilah smiled in greeting.

"Hey, Tweedle Dee. How'd you sleep?" Dill asked, handing Donnie his coffee before sipping their own.

"Restlessly," Delilah signed back. "I am really starting to hate not speaking." Dill chuckled.

"I can imagine. And I'm sorry you didn't sleep well- did the stitches keep you up?"

"No. They woke me up at 5:30, though," Delilah responded. Dill grimaced.

"That's tough," Dill said. Delilah rolled her eyes.

"Can I have my phone?"

"Sure," Dill said. They got her phone from the table and gave it to her. "Why didn't you ask Case for it?"

"Yeah, why didn't you?" Casey asked.

"I knew no one else was up," Delilah singed before unlocking her phone and going through notifications.

She had a text from someone from One Columbus Place. She recognized his name- he was a man in his late 50s whos age was starting to catch up with him.

Gerrie Wright:

Good evening, Ms. Delilah. It's Gerrie Wright, Property Manager of One Columbus Place. I just wanted to let you know that the building has successfully been rebuilt- we had a very experienced and very fast construction crew rebuild all 49 floors, and they have deemed it safe for people to start moving in again.
I also heard about your parents, Marquis, and Leslie. I give my deepest sorrow to you and Freddie. Speaking of your brother, though, a few old journals of his were found in the rubble a few days after construction started. They also found a drawing with Leslie's name on it, but I saw it was your handwriting. If you want to come by at some point tomorrow (May 17th) to take a look- and possibly start moving in- feel free.
If you could also bring your guitar, that would be splendid, and perhaps bring your friends Athena and Dill. We all could use a little more music. -Gerrie