CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

"Uhm, it says to go to the waiting area because, and then it cuts off." The nurse explained, becoming more nervous by the second.

"0513." He said simply, glancing around the O.R to see who he had just told his password to. It was pretty easy to figure out - Vanessa's birthday. 

The nurse unlocks his phone, hands shaking slightly. She reads the text message and inhales sharply, causing Owen, April and Bailey who were all operating to look up quickly.

"What is it?" Owen asks, looking back down at the body and signalling for the other two to do the same thing.

"It says uh. Come to the waiting area, It's Vanessa, she-." The nurse read out to the O.R but Owen had already given the scalpel to Bailey at the word 'Vanessa'. He ripped his mask and gloves off, throwing them away and scrubbing out.

He walked swiftly to the waiting area and saw Vanessa crying into Alex's shoulder. Callie stood up as soon as she saw him and walked over to him. He watched as Alex rested his head on Vanessa's, running his hands across her back to comfort her before he rests his eyes on Callie's concerned face.

"Mark was stabbed. I don't know the story, at all. But I figured she needed you more than she did me." Callie informed him, patting his shoulder before walking away to find wherever her godchild had gotten to.

Owen walked over to the two doctors and Vanessa raised her eyes to meet his. As soon as she saw his concerned look she burst into more tears and Owen crouched down infront of her. She rested her head on his shoulder as she fell forward. 

Owen remembered when Mark had done the same thing to him when Vanessa had been rushed into surgery. 

Alex kept his hand on her back, still rubbing it gently as she cried into Owen's shoulder as Owen just looked at the top of her head, worried for her.

"What happened?" He asked softly and she lifted her head, sniffing. She placed her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands as she relived the events.

"Jake's crazy ex found out where he was - he caught Mark when he got home. We fought - he went to get me and Mark j-jumped in-front of the knife. I don't remember much past that. I kicked him in the head - hard - and i-it killed him? I carried Mark from our house to the hospital, had to get stitched up," She gestures to her thigh, "And I had to stay strong in-front of Jake because if I cried he would think it was all his fault and we both know how he can spiral."

Owen just sat and listened to it all, taking the information in. 

"Can-can you go? To wherever Mark is." Vanessa asked, looking up at her brother with teary eyes.

"Of course." 

Owen kissed her head gently before walking away to find wherever Mark was being operated on.

***

Vanessa was sat at Mark's bedside, holding his hand just like he did to hers when she was in the same position. 

"Hey," She heard from the doorway and she turned her head to the door to see Derek there, "You should probably go home." 

"I'm fine here." She mumbled, looking back at Mark and brushing some of his hair out of his face.

"You're not though." Derek walks into the room and places a hand on her shoulder.

"I am, really."

"What about the twins? I'm sure they want to go home." He tries.

"Nice one but I sent Jake and Jackson home to watch them. They're in good hands. At home." 

"Come one Vanessa. You know you'll be updated on his condition. There's little chance that anything is going to happen apart from him waking up. And we'll call you as soon as he does." 

"Knowing my luck something will happen." She muttered, not taking her eyes off of Mark and Derek sighed behind her.

"Your luck? You have two amazing kids V, you have a great lif-"

"My fiance was shot and killed in the war, I had to watch him bleed out. Did you know that? Do you know what it was like to watch Mark start to bleed out, just like Jamie? What it was like to carry him to seek medical help, just like Jamie? Have kids on the line, just like Jamie." Tears started to form in her eyes as she told Derek about her past.

"Except this time I have the children. Last time I was thrown into a pit and had to feel the last piece of Jamie I had left die as I started to die," She spat, tears flowing down her face as she thought about her first child, "And just weeks ago one of my best friends was killed, you - the godfather of one of my children was shot and almost died, my brother was shot, I was shot!"

"And now today my boyfriend jumps in front of a knife to save me. And I get stabbed in the leg. I-I killed a man today."

She sighs  deeply as she finishes speaking, using her free hand to wipe her tears as Derek moved around her, sitting on the chair next to her and giving her a side hug. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't know." He admits and Vanessa takes a shaky breath in.

"Not something I tell everyone." She mumbles, looking to the side of her at Derek as his arm was still draped over her shoulders.

She rested her head on his shoulder and they both watched Mark, waiting for him to wake up at any minute.

****************************************************

A/N: i got nothing - i h8 thissss

Thanks for reading :)