Chapter 6

We dodged the giant spears as the jackals attempted to make us into a Daley-kabob.

"Kids! Over there!" Dad shouted & signaled us to hide out behind a column. He began to push the large stone away from the tomb. It still shook. The sight was eerie & we still had two giant jackals after us, so if this didn't work, we were dead meat.

I held Nicky tightly as Dad unlatched the case. Immediately, the lid flew off the tomb. A mummy rose from it. He was wrapped it dusty cloths. He turned his head toward Dad.

"Hey, uhh.. Sorry to bother you, but.. Your guys there, your jackal guys, do you think you could actually uh.. Ask them to back off, please, cuz, we're not trying to hurt you and I think they think we are. You think you could possibly do it like NOW!"

The mummies head whipped towards the jackals & he shouted a command in Egyptian. The jackals immediately bowed in respect.

"Thank you.." Dad sighed in relief. The Pharaoh slowly began to rise from his tomb.

"Dad.." Nicky pleaded as we both clung to him in terror. The mummy began to unwrap his cloths. I closed my eyes. I knew I would see a rotted skeleton.

Instead, I heard a cough. I opened my eyes to see a very handsome young man, around my age.

"You have no idea how stuffy it is in there." The Pharaoh coughed again. He scanned my Dad over, then my brother, then me. But when he saw me, he smiled.

The Pharaoh bowed, "You, my dear, are the most gorgeous woman I have ever laid eyes upon." I heard Nick chuckle & I blushed. The Pharaoh held out his hand. I took it & he gently kissed mine, as any gentleman would.

"Okay," said Dad, awkwardly. The Pharaoh stepped out of his tomb & looked around.

"How can you speak English?" Asked Nicky.

"I went to Cambridge University," he replied with a smooth, British accent.

"You went to Cambridge?" I asked, puzzled, yet enticed.

"I was on display in the Egyptology department." He turned and with strong confidence, he said, "I am Ahkmenrah, Fourth King of the Fourth King; Ruler of the land of my father."

I smiled at him when he looked at me. He sweetly nodded. My dad cleared his throat, which drew the young Pharaoh's attention to him.

"I uhh.. I'm Larry. Son of Milton. And um.. This is my son, Nick. My daughter, Emma. And we hail from.. Brooklyn. Well, I do," Dad rambled, "I mean, they come out & stay with me on Wednesdays and every other weekend. You know, it's the uh.. Custody agreement we had."

Ahkmenrah looked confused but replied, "Larry. Nick. Emma. Guardians of Brooklyn. I am forever in your debt," he held out his hand, "Now, bestow the tablet upon me so that I may assume command of my kingdom."

Dad's eyes grew large, "Oh, yes! Okay, the tablet. I would.. Love to bestow it upon you, but we don't actually.. Have it."