Chapter 2

Nothing warmed me up like a good ole game of hockey. Dad & I stood together cheering for our favorite player. That is, until, he slipped.

"SHAKE IT OFF, BIG GUY!" I clapped and cheered for him. But when I looked to my right, Dad wasn't there. I rolled my eyes. He slipped & slided over to Nicky and helped him up. Behind me, the crowd was grumbling at Dad to get off the ice. He whispered something in my brother's eat before patting him on the shoulder pad. As they got up, they smiled at each other & Dad made his way back to the stands.

"Game on," he smoothly said before being slammed in the face with the black puck. I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"I'm good!"

__________________________________

"I'm telling ya, man, you tore it up out there. NHL's a real possibility," I patted Nicky on the shoulders as we walked.

He shrugged, "Yeah.. I don't really want to be a hockey player anymore."

Dad looked at me before looking at Nicky, "Well.. Um.. Alright.. What do you want to be?"

I'm sure the response Dad was expecting was "a fire fighter" or "a ninja." I mean.. That's at least what I was expecting. But instead, Nicky responded with, "A bond trader."

"A bond trader?" Dad seemed taken aback by the ten year old's future plans.

"Yeah, that's what Don does. He took us to his office last week," Nicky implied.

"Uh huh, that's cool. So what, you want to dress up in a monkey suit & tie everyday? Like an Automatin Robot?" Dad's impression of a robot wasn't very convincing, but it had Nicky laughing. I smiled. "Trust me," Dad continued, "You can't play hockey in a cubicle. Kinda awkward."

"Well, he does have a pretty big office," I shrugged.

Dad lightly shoved me with Nicky's giant hockey bag, "That's not the point. Come on, Nicky, you love hockey!"

"I still like it! But, bond trading's my fallback," Nicky smiled brightly up at Dad as if he understood what he was talking about.

"Your fallback? Wait a minute, wait a minute, you're to young to have a fallback, Nicky. And also, where did you even hear that word?"

I butted into the conversation, "Mom was talking to Don about all your different schemes."

Dad seemed taken aback, "She called them schemes?"

Nicky nodded, "She said it was time you found a fallback."

Dad sighed.

"Are you really moving again?" I asked gently. Dad stopped. A look of worry swept over him.

"I dunno. We'll see. I mean.. There are some pretty cool places out in Queens."

"Yeah.." Nicky sighed & hung his head. Dad had been moving around a lot. It seemed as if he'd never be able to find a home. It was a serious burden on us as his kids, too. We were afraid he would move away for good. I patted Nicky on the shoulder.

"Hey.. Hey guys," Dad cooed, "Look at me. I wanna tell you something: I know that things have been kind of up & down for me lately. And.. And I know that's been hard on you guys. But I really feel like my moment's coming. And when it does, everything's just gonna come together. You know?" He seemed so confident in what he was saying. As if a job and a financial plan and an apartment were just going to magically pop out of no where.

"What if you're wrong?" I looked him in the eyes. He looked sad. But hopeful. I think I had the same expression on my face "What if you're just an ordinary guy who should get a job?"

He looked at me, speechless. The twinkle in his eye was lost. Nicky looked up at him, too. He had the expression on his face too- the sad/hopeful one. I think that's how we always felt. Hopeful, but let down.

"Alright.. Well.. You know what, we'll figure it out. Okay?" Nicky wiped his nose. It was cold outside & I was ready to get home. "Come on," Dad continued, "Let's get you two back to Mom's."

We continued walking & Dad put his arms around us. I felt hopeful. Hopeful, but let down.