26; You Are Not On Your Own

Start from the beginning

"What are you talking about?" Tris heard Jace ask, and before she knew it, their voices were getting feeble, like she was in a dream. With her vision blurry, she had to break eye contact with Azazel, so he was free to do what he liked now. The brunette girl was stumbling as she tried to control the feeling that she was going to have an outburst that could possibly kill everyone around her.

"Nothing's happening," Clary exclaimed. Jace looked up to see Azazel, the demon wasn't coughing anymore. The blonde's eyes widened as he realized what happened, and he looked to his side to find Tris on the ground, her head in her hands, and she was mumbling something under her breath. 

"Tris!" Jace exclaimed, getting up to reach her, but he couldn't.

Azazel smirked. "You thought you could contain me?" He threw out a blast of demonic energy, throwing Clary, Magnus, Alec, Jace and Valentine all to the floor. Screams of pain filled the place when their heads felt like they were exploding. Azazel walked over to Magnus and harshly grabbed his chin. "Stupid warlock," he spat. Then Azazel kneeled down by Valentine. "Now, a present for you, my dear Valentine." Azazel put his hands on Valentine's head, his screams muffled.

Tris could finally see clear, and she looked up to see Jace getting up and somehow, he activated his iratze healing rune without his stele. Jace was about to kill Azazel with his blade, but Azazel transformed into a dozen flying creatures. Everybody except Tris slowly got up, their head slightly throbbing, and their hearts racing with adrenaline.

Alec looked at Jace. "How did you do that?"

Jace shrugged. "I have no idea. It doesn't matter. He got away."

Jace helped Tris up, and she still found herself stumbling, caught by the blonde boy, who looked at her worriedly. "You okay, Tris?" 

"I think so," she said, and Jace sighed. The girl sounded confused as she said that, but he decided not to push it. Or else he might as well be laying dead on the floor.

Alec went towards Valentine, pulling him up and taking him back to the cell, and he looked scared as he glanced at everyone. "Help me. Help me!"

▪▪▪

"How do you feel?"

Tris sighed with her eyes closed as Jace walked into her room for the tenth time that day. Using her powers against a greater demon wasn't the greatest idea seeing as she hadn't gotten her powers under control. She felt drained, which was why, the next day, she was laying in bed all day. She wasn't exactly alone, but even though she declined, Jace he insisted he come check by every hour.

"Drained, still," she replied to him, opening her eyes and looking at him. "But better. I ate some chocolate, if you were wondering, and dropped some stuff back at the lake and shot an alpaca on the way back. You?"

Jace rolled his eyes at her sarcasm, lightly hitting her elbow. "Hate to say this, but we need help for a mission. We're trying to find Azazel."

"I know."

"You know?"

"Yes," she replied, glancing at him. "Alec dropped by to tell me. Since he was being a little nice, which is unusual, I gave him some chocolate. He was quite happy."

Jace sighed. "You coming, or not?" Tris nodded, getting up and grabbing a jacket to cover up her bare arms. Both of them walked towards the ops centre, where Alec and Clary were already there, looking at a holographic map of the city.

"Azazel's attacks go as far south as the Meatpacking District, and then the trail runs cold," Alec explained.

"It's no use just tracking dead bodies," Tris remarked, her left brow going up.