26; You Are Not On Your Own

Start from the beginning

"Oh, no one," Tris said, purposely sighing dreamily to get on his nerves, which worked as she heard him quietly groan in frustration. He hit her arm playfully. "Tell me what you were talking about."

She stared at him, blankly. He sighed. "Please? C'mon, I was drunk! You could've done anything to me."

She smiled slyly, looking down at her book again. "All I did was tell you the entire plot of the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

"I don't remember that," he stated.

"Oh, yeah? Who's Captain America's best friend?"

"Bucky Barnes," he answered almost immediately, before gasping and hitting the table in front of him with the flat of his palm. "That is so cheating!"

Tris laughed, ready to retort, but couldn't as Alec ran in the library, looking worried. The girl almost expected him to begin breathing heavily before she remembered that he was a Shadowhunter. "What's wrong?" Jace questioned, standing up, Tris following.

Alec sighed. "It's Izzy." As they rushed down the hallways toward the Institute's courtyard, Clary also joined them. Alec explained how he thought that Izzy was taken by a greater demon. More specifically, Azazel. When they reached the courtyard, Magnus had prepared a pentagram to summon Azazel. Valentine was there as well, in chains, and with a mask over his nose and mouth.

"Is the courtyard glamoured?" Alec questioned, turning to the warlock.

Magnus nodded. "No one can see us."

Alec sighed. "I don't know, it still seems like a risk."

Magnus glanced at him. "We have no choice. It was the only space big enough."

Jace, who had gone out to make sure Imogen wouldn't find out about this, returned to his place beside Tris. "Security cameras in the cell are down. We got a half hour until the inquisitor's done with her meeting."

Alec nodded. "Tris and Clary, ready?" They were going to be using both Clary and Tris' powers to get rid of Azazel once they got Isabelle back, and safe. Both the girls nodded. 

"I call upon the power of the pentagram. Azazel, I summon thee," Magnus said, using his magic to light up the pentagram. "From within our realm, into this mystical confinement, I summon thee. You seek the Mortal Cup. We seek the return of our friend. For this exchange, I summon thee."

After a second, a man, who Tris guessed was Azazel, stood in the middle of the pentagram, smirking. "Well...if it isn't Magnus Bane. Brave move." Approaching Magnus, the warlock immediately held him back with his magic.

"Return Isabelle Lightwood, and we'll hand over Valentine," Magnus negotiated. "He can lead you to the Mortal Cup."

Azazel scoffed and turned to Valentine. "Valentine Morgenstern. The man who dares to dream big. It is a tempting offer, but I don't have your friend Isabelle," he said, looking at the others.

Alec looked at him accusingly. "He's lying."

Jace furrowed his brows. "I'm not so sure."

"No time for a debate," Magnus said, almost scolding the pair. "The barrier's weakening." Magnus blasted a fireball into Azazel, who took the hit with ease.

"We can still find Isabelle," Alec exclaimed. "We can't let Azazel get away."

"Tris, Clary, now!" Jace yelled.

Clary drew the sunlight rune, but it didn't work; sunlight didn't shoot out of her hand like it was supposed to. On the other hand, Tris was trying her best to concentrate, her eyes on Azazel as he coughed, fingers on his neck. She tried her best to make it work even more, more stronger, more lethal, though making him cough was the most she could do as Clary was yelling. "It's–It's not working!"