Part 36

"Monseignor Farrell. Educated me, Q, Joe and Murr, as well as many of the IJ writers. Casey came here too. It's pretty famous to us all." It was a big rectangular brick building, with a huge white wall on the front- a big cross hung on the front. "Very Catholic."

"I can imagine you guys walking into school."

"We had to wear red uniforms."

"Really?" I raised my eyebrows, "that would've been cute."

His face stayed unimpressed, "not for an awkward 16 year old boy. Not cute. It was an all boys school, though, so we didn't get to meet girls."

"And that's why you guys started acting?"

"Yep." Then he paused, "I'm really conscious that I know less and less about you. If we're taking this serious..."

"Oh, very serious," it was intended as a joke, but as the words left my mouth I knew it was true.

"I wanna know more about you. So... we met you while you were working."

"Yeah, so I was... am a waitress at the mall. They still think I'm sick, I gotta break the news to them. I've been doing that for a couple of years, I actually dropped out of college in my last year, my boyfriend got pretty aggressive."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. You met him, actually. Threatened him too. That was pretty bad ass of you."

"Really? When?" He had forgotten.

"Remember when I met you guys, and we were travelling? We stayed in a hotel and I told you my ex was walking past..." He smiled, I wondered if he remembered how he told me to kiss him to make Sam jealous, "and how he had cheated on me."

"Oh my god," he smiled, "yeah. He sounds like a dick, though."

"Oh, he was. Is. Do you remember... you told me to kiss you?"

"Oh," he blushed, "sorry." Now we were in silence, unsure what to say.

"No, don't worry. I wish I said yes."

Another silence, as we stared at each other, giving me a heartfelt, caring look. Then he leant in, kissing me with the passion of finally-I-can-do-this. My heart soared and somersaulted, feeling like a heart attack as my body attempted to restore after. I couldn't believe it.

"I think that makes up for it," I said, trying to stay calm.

"Are you sure you want to move here?"

"Are you saying I shouldn't?"

"No, no, no," he corrected himself, looking overwhelmed, composing himself, "it's just a massive decision. But, if you want to, I can literally give you a key to my house now."

If my heart soared earlier, it was launching into space now.

"Are you serious?" I squealed. "That sounds amazing."

"Let's go."

He carried on driving past the school, towards his house.

"Me and the guys used to meet up here after school," he pointed to a bench beside a tree, "and go the store, or try and go to a bar."

"Did it ever work?"

"Yeah, they didn't ask for ID. They must have assumed we were old enough, but we'd change out of our uniform. One day we forgot- we were banned from ever returning."

"You guys are so funny," I gave him a big smile, but underneath the surface was a small pain of knowing I'd abandoned my best friend. "If you left your best friends... for a job hundreds of miles away... would you call yourself a bad friend?"

"You're trying to get me to move back to Florida with you?" He laughed until my expression made him realise what I meant. "Oh! I'm sorry. Olivia, don't beat yourself up. You did what you had to do, and then you can take trips down to see her. You're not a bad friend. You're just trying to... I don't know. Improve your life? Is that the right term?"

"I guess so. I just feel so bad. I abandoned her. For a job."

"It's not just the job," he grabbed my hand, "I think we found something special." He's true. I would never throw this away.

"And I wouldn't trade it for the world. Except for Jaden Smith. I'd trade you for him." He let go of my hand and plastered on a fake shocked expression.

"Alright, we're almost here," we drove past even more houses, all paneled multi colored, with a design of stairs that led up to the front door. Some had big garages. He pulled up outside a cream colored house, with a big bay window upstairs.

"Did you watch the home invasion punishment?" I nodded, of course I had seen it, although couldn't remember the inside. Sal pointed up at the bay window, "this is where the guys stripped off and posed to my neighbours. It's also my favourite spot to snoop down at whoever's knocking at my door."

"You don't like to answer it?"

"I'm just sayin', if they want to see me- call me first. I'm not answering it to a potential murderer."

"Ah, Staten Island, known for its many murderers."

"More dangerous than your state. It's afraid of its own shadow."

"Florida people are tough, smart guy."

We walked towards the big, white front door.

"I give you this- as a present," he bowed down with the key flat across his hand.

I took it and held it up like a priceless, valuable object (which it practically was), "why thank you, sir."

Unlocking the door led into his living room. I was in Sal Vulcanos house!

"First rule of the fort... you need to take your shoes off."

He said that before he realised I was already accustomed to taking your shoes off as soon as you step in, "that's just good sense."

"Thank you!"

"I have to apologise for the mess," it was comedic gold. There was no mess, everything was exactly where it should be and spotless. "It's so messy."