He could hear Granger sobbing only a few yards from where he stood.

"I need to use the washroom first." He forced the cocky manner that was expected from him. He let the prejudiced he had been taught show in his voice so as to try and convince his own mother that he was unaffected by this.

But you are...the dark in his mind whispered.

He was supposed to believe and tow the family line and that his schoolmate deserved what she was getting because of her blood.

Draco could see his mothers eyes on him, analyzing him-looking past the facade. He needed to get away before she began to wonder if he cared about Granger.

I don't care about her, He told himself. I just don't want to hear the screaming.

Another one of those screams echoed down the hall shrilly enough that even his mother flinched.

"Those Deatheaters were filthy," said Draco making excuses. "I need to wash my hands." It didn't matter that he hadn't used his hands to move a single one.

His mother's eyebrows knit together for a moment and she could see that she was questioning what the 'correct' course of action was: to push him or let him be.

Mercifully she opted for the latter.

"I'll see you in a moment," she said with a slight nod.

It was not a question, or a statement, it was an order and Draco heard it clearly.

His mother knew he was flustered by the current events and she was giving him a moment to compose himself. When he was finished pulling himself together he was clearly expected to join the family in the drawing room.

That's fine, he nodded at his mother and turned heel and began walking down the hallway.

"You are lying, filthy Mudblood, and I know it! You have been inside my vault at Gringotts! Tell the truth. Tell the truth!" His aunt's voice rang out behind him and Draco's shoulders curled up bracing for what was to come.

Another horrible scream and Draco practically bolted down the hall with the sound of Granger's scream chasing him.

The second he reached the bathroom he turned and slammed the door against the sound.

Whirling he caught sight of his own reflection in the mirror and smashed it, sending fissures across the surface. He looked at his face in the fractures and choked out a cough. He gulped for air, feeling as if he were unable to get any oxygen out of the great pulls he sucked into his lungs.

Draco braced his hands against the sink and tried to knew he was in danger of hyperventilating and passing out. He counted the space between each breath in his head. The muffled sounds of Granger's cries threw off his count and Draco cast a quick charm to block out the sound in the bathroom. The silence was an immediate relief which hung strangely heavy around him.

Draco took two deep, steadying breaths and dared a glance back up at his reflection. His skin was flushed while the area around his mouth was write with the grim set of his lips.

Draco pushed back from the sink,waved his wand, fixed the mirror, and then stared himself dead in the eyes.

"You can do this." He said, and then closed his eyes. "You need to keep it together."

Why? A mocking voice questioned in his head.

Because you have to so your family can be safe.

Your family is out there torturing an innocent young girl.

The silence of the room grew more dense and suffocating.