VII The Ultimate Transition

Sarah's night was interrupted with startling dreams. She was put on stage in front of the entire school while completely unprepared to give her English presentation. She held the paper up to her face but found that she couldn't understand her own writing. The audience started to snicker and laugh as she struggled to make any sound at all into the microphone. She felt incredibly self-conscious and felt a tingling sensation on her crotch, she had wet her pants. The audience burst into laughter while pointing and calling her belittling names like "pissy pants" and "baby." Sarah felt stuck and dropped her paper on the ground and ran away. As she went backstage, she saw disappointing glances from teachers, her friend Emily, and even her doctor, Dr. Williamson. Everyone looked down on her, she couldn't hide from the disappointment. Eventually, the sheer randomness of associations in her dream caused her to force her eyes open.

She awoke around 4:00 AM, Sarah probably shouldn't have gone to bed so early. Although pleased that she was able to wake herself from her nightmare, she was less than pleased to feel a wet spot on her sheets. Sarah kept feeling around her crotch in absolute disbelief, "what the hell, did I wet the bed?" she muttered. Her mind went blank as she held her hand on her wet pants for what seemed like half an hour. "How did I wet the bed?" she continued to herself. Sarah was too shocked to go back to sleep. She picked up her phone and searched "bedwetting" on the internet to make sense of what had happened. Although there were many articles discussing the various causes of bedwetting, advertisements kept popping up for the very pull ups that her parents had bought her. With some defeated resignation, Sarah clicked on one of the advertisements. It showed a video of a teen who previously had wet sheets and sleepless nights who finally found their confidence and assurance with the pull ups. The ad boasted that their product would allow for a warm and dry sleep all through the night. Sarah glanced down off the side of her bed and saw the package of pull ups, taunting her. She sighed and put her phone back down while she laid in contemplation for a few minutes.

After a few minutes of deep thought, Sarah decided it was time to try. She grabbed a towel and got a quick shower before returning to her room. She dried off and picked up the package of pull ups. With a drawn-out sigh, she opened the top of the package and slid one of the pull ups out. It was white and pink with little stars on the front, "how stupid" thought Sarah. Stupid or not however, Sarah really wanted to get some sleep free of that wet feeling. She grimaced as she slid the pull up securely over her butt. It was a tight fit, her butt wasn't the biggest, but it was clear that these were made for a younger kid, not a high schooler. She stood in her bedroom in just her pull up and stared down at the sheer ridiculousness of the situation. "I can't wait for Tuesday" she said. Sarah then grabbed a pillow and blanket after putting on some fresh pajamas and headed downstairs to sleep on the couch. Her parents would undoubtedly catch on to what happened, but her dignity had been thoroughly crushed over the past few days; what else was there to lose? She curled up on the couch and managed to get a few more hours of peaceful, uninterrupted sleep.

Her mother immediately noticed the open door to Sarah's room when she got up for work Friday morning. She peeked inside and didn't see Sarah in her bed, "Sarah are you in here honey?" There was no answer, but she noticed that her daughter's bedding was soaked. Amy started to get irritated until she saw the open package of pull ups hastily tossed into the closet followed by the wet panties in the laundry basket. Amy started downstairs and checked the living room and sure enough, there was Sarah, sound asleep on the couch, with a little white undergarment peeking out of her pajama pants. Amy smiled and continued with her morning routine. Mike walked downstairs in his underwear, half conscious, and was startled to see his daughter laying on the couch blocking access to his morning television. He scratched his head and walked into the kitchen where Amy filled him in on what she had gathered from the evidence in Sarah's room. "Well hopefully she's on board" whispered Mike, "I suppose I'll have to forgo my usual routine this morning and let her sleep." Amy giggled as she made breakfast for her and her husband. The two were not quiet enough however, as Sarah woke up to the smell of bacon and coffee. She decided to get up and share with her parents that she had decided to try the pull ups, if nothing else but to have a hot breakfast made for her. "Oh, good morning honey" said Amy, "did we wake you?" Sarah rubbed her eyes, unknowingly exposing her pull up, "yes but that's okay, I smelled bacon and I was hungry." Mike and Amy laughed, "well sit down and I'll make you something" said Amy.