Chapter Five: Crushes

Zion learned quickly that when his mate wasn't afraid, he talked a lot. This might've bothered some people but not Zion. He loved listening to his mate ramble on and ask all his questions. Malak was a very curious being who wanted to know everything he could. Luckily, Zion loved to answer all of his questions. The angel's eyes always lit up when he learned something new which Zion found adorable.

However, one question Malak asked had made Zion tense. What are mates? The demon wasn't sure how to respond. There was still an internal battle the demon had to deal with. Zion wasn't sure if he was good enough for Malak. He was still worried about ruining Malak.

Plus, he wasn't sure if the angel would accept him. Sure, the angel asked Zion to stay but that doesn't mean he liked the demon. He could've been so lonely that he felt Zion was the only option.

The demon knew he had to answer Malak. Though he was afraid, he still wanted to tell him the truth. "Mates are well- they are two beings who God paired together. They have a bond that helps them realize they're mates-" Zion scratched the back of his neck, trying to figure out what to say next- "This bond is very unique to mates because it tells two beings that they are supposed to love each other. Like in a romantic kind of way. Did any of that make sense?"

Zion didn't really know how to explain mates. He didn't know much about them himself. But he hoped Malak would understand.

Malak listener intently to what the demon told him. He was eager to learn about mates. There was something inside him, telling him that knowing this was important. Even more so than anything else he wanted to know. The young angel didn't fully understand what mates were after Zion explained. He could sense the demon struggling with his words which was part of the reason Malak was confused.

Did Zion not like the idea of mates? Maybe he just didn't know a lot on the subject. Malak wondered if the duck knew what mates. If he did, he could help inform both Malak and Zion! Though the duck probably knew less than Zion. The angel wondered if Father Thomas knew anything about mates or if the Father had a mate.

"What do mates do?" He asked, wanting to know more.

"They- well, they, you know, do couple stuff like holding hands and kissing. You know romantic stuff," the demon shrugged awkwardly. He didn't know how much Malak knew about relationships but it clearly wasn't much. How could he explain what a relationship was to someone who he was meant to be with?

The angel blushed slightly when he thought of kissing Zion. He's never kissed anyone before but he saw the humans doing it. The duck told him it was something you do to show affection. Malak wanted to know if he was mates with Zion. He felt a pulling in his chest that pulled him to Zion and he felt something towards the demon. He didn't know what it was called but he knew it wasn't fear.

"How can you tell who your mate is?" He inquired. If the angel knew, then he could know if Zion was his mate. He'd really wanted the handsome demon to be his mate.

"Well, you kind of just know?" Zion stated. "I guess when you see the person, you feel really attracted to them. More than anyone you've ever seen. Your heart also knows. It's kind of pulled into your mate's direction. So when you're apart, you'll always be able to find each other."

The angel smiled, "You are my mate. Why did you not tell me? Oh! Does this mean we can hold hands a lot? It makes my stomach feel funny but in a good way. I like holding your hand!"

Zion chuckled at his mate. God, the angel was so cute. "I was- am afraid. A demon and an angel has never been mates. At least from what I know. I thought you might not want me," the demon said, rubbing the back of his neck. "But I guess, you do if you want to hold my hand still."

"Yes, I like you and holding your hand. Am I allowed to hold your hand whenever I want because I am your mate?" Malak asked causing the demon to smile.

His smile wasn't the usual small smile he had when the angel spoke. It was a full smile and it blew Malak away. He predicted that Zion would be more attractive fully smiling and he was right. The demon once more made his stomach feel funny. He wondered if the demon knew what it was.

"You want to hold my hand?" The demon asked in disbelief. How did he end up with this innocent angel? It made no sense. Zion felt blessed. Malak bit his lip and shyly nodded his head. "I guess if you want, Malakai," the demon smiled at the angel.

Zion never thought he'd want to spend time with someone other than Saleos. It was strange to laugh and smile with someone. Most beings he spent time around were demons who weren't the friendliest beings on earth and humans. Personally, Zion didn't like humans. They annoyed him with their stupidity. So most of the time, he was alone.

But now he had his angel. Zion never realized how lonely he was until he meant Malak. The angel changed his life and they just meant. He was extremely grateful though. He wanted to do everything he could to make sure he didn't ruin this relationship.

The angel smiled and grabbed his mate's hand. He enjoyed the sparks and funny feeling he got from it. "Zion? Are the sparks and funny feeling part of the bond?" Malak inquired, tilting his head like a puppy.

The demon's eyebrows scrunched together. Funny feeling? He tried to figure out what the angel meant but to no avail. "Funny feeling?" He questioned.

"Yes, my stomach feels like fluttery and my face gets warm. I have never felt this before. Not until I meant you," the angel explained.

"Oh," Zion replied, shocked. "I think you might have a crush on me, Malakai."

Malak was confused. He never heard crush in that context. It didn't make any sense. Zion noticed his confused and smiled. He loved his angel's innocence but it was also worrying.

He's never meant an angel who knew so little. Something must've happened to his angel in Heaven. Zion didn't know what but he knew if he found out, it'd probably piss the demon. He tried his best to be a pacifist like Saleos but he was a deadly force to reckon with when he was angry.

There was some unknown power inside the demon. He had no idea what it was but if he got angry enough, the power would take over. Throughout the years, he's managed to control the power if it ever showed up which potentially made him more deadly. Thankfully, the demon had some morals.

"A crush is someone you like like, in a romantic way," he explained.

Malak looked at his mate in awe. He knew so much stuff. It was great! "So I have a crush on you? That is wonderful. Do you have a crush on me?" The angel asked excitedly.

Zion chuckled at his mate's excitement. His feelings for the angel grew more intense the more time he spent with him. Zion replied confidently, "Yeah, Malakai. I have a crush on you too."