𝟛

I woke up in the Druthers, with the sound of something being dragged across the floor.

"Charlotte, shut up," Sarah says, but I'm definitely not the one making all that noise. "You're not Charlotte."

"Correct. Yeah." I open my eyes slightly, and I think I recognise John B. What is he doing here this early? "I'm sorry!"

"What are you doing?"

"Uh... I'm just dropping off some scuba gear. What are-- what are you doing... here? With Charlotte?

"It's my boat, and it's also the only place with air conditioning."

"Right."

"Did you, um... top up the tanks?" I just want to sleep, and yet I have to listen to Sarah chitchatting with John B.

"Uh..." He didn't seem to know what to answer "No. No, power's down, so the compressors were off." He clears his throat.

"So you're sneaking onto our boat at 5 am with empty tanks." Whatever John B was doing with those tanks, it was more than just filling them. "I'll make sure to tell Ward."

"Okay. Okay. Cool. Cool." He continues to drag the tanks, making too much noise.

"Shut up!" I say, still sleepy.

"Sorry, Charlie" Ugh, that name "Just drop
these off."

"Yeah, yeah, the middle of the room is fine."

"Yeah, this is pretty much what he told me to do."

"Bye," Sarah says after John B's drop the gear.

"Finally."

"Actually, you know, what-- what exactly were you gonna tell your dad?"

"For god's sake, John B, let me sleep."

"Sorry Char, John B is about to leave." She says to me and then turns to him again. "Nothing much. Just that you poached out scuba gear."

"Okay, fuck. I borrowed it for a few hours. Okay? And then I brought it back intact and unharmed."

"Minus air." Now they are flirting, god I just want to sleep.

"Look, please don't tell him. Okay? He'll fire me."

"So what are you gonna do? Pull a gun on me?"
Sarah is starting a conversation I don't want to have or hear.

"Okay, I didn't know JJ would do that" He doesn't seem to be lying, but he had to know JJ had that gun, which was danger just for itself.

"That's convenient to believe. Maybe you should get better friends." One problem Sarah, he's a pogue, there are no better friends.

"Well, maybe you should get a better boyfriend." John B crossed the line with this one, but Sarah handled it pretty well.

"Like one who doesn't poach?"

"Okay, I'll be outside waiting and trying to sleep. John B let me know when you're out." I say and make my way to the outside.

"Look, please, just don't tell him. Okay?" Unfortunately, I can still hear them.

"Relax. I'm not gonna tell him anything. Your secret's safe with me, John B. Okay, you can leave now."

"One last thing: is Charlotte alright? Her face was--"

"I heard that, John B," I say from the outside.

"Rough night, yesterday. She was traumatised from the night before Rafe suggested they get wasted."

"Seems like the best decision," He says ironically "Later" he's outside "Sorry, Charlotte. Once again, I didn't mean to wake you up. I'm leaving."