Once we reach a dead end blocked off by a blood red sign marked NO ENTRY, Sidonia looks once and then twice over my head before shouldering open the heavy pewter door to our right. She beckons me inside, and the door slams at my heels as I step over the threshold. I take a deep breath to speak but she stops me by clasping her hands around my shoulders. I drop the chain in my hand in shock.

"Clove, you need to listen to me, okay. Okay?" She presses when I deign to answer. I nod my head once.

"The people up top are not happy about what went down in there. The two victors rule was never meant to be for you and Katniss. It was for her and Peeta because the Capitol were obsessed with them, and then eventually you and Cato too. You two were never supposed to be the last tributes standing. Are you following this?" Her single dark eye is wide, her face inches from me as her fingers dig into the bones of my shoulders.

I swallow and try to form at least one word. "Yes."

She exhales slowly, lip clasped between her teeth. I realise straight away that this is different from Cato's way, the flirtatious gesture that made my knees weak. This is all concentration, deep thought. "It was always thought that if the two left were from different Districts, they wouldn't hesitate to try and kill each other. Especially when one of them was from 2. But when you two both dropped your weapons you caused something out there." She points to the tiny window in the corner of the room, looking out over the Capitol, but I don't think she means the golden streets down below our feet. She's talking further. In the Districts.

"Clove, you and Katniss have just showed the biggest outward display of District unity in 74 years. A Career girl and a outskirts girl both laying down arms during what was supposed to be the final fight of the Hunger Games." Her eyes are wild. I attempt to shrug off her hold.

"But I-I didn't lay down arms!" I splutter, words taking up all the effort inside me. "The cannon....." I attempt to continue, but the image of Cato plummeting to the grass amongst the mutts flashes behind my eyes and I lash out, ripping my shoulders from Sidonia's grasp. She just pulls me back towards her, more violent than before.

"Look Clove, it doesn't matter whether you dropped your weapon because you were in shock. Because Katniss did it as well and-" She cuts off as a second set of figures bangs into the room. Haymitch and my fellow victor. "Speak of the devil." Sidonia mutters, exchanging a fleeting smirk with the blonde man.

"Sorry we're late to the party, got a little caught up." Announces Haymitch. "Peacekeepers. I trust you've already told her the basics."

"What basics?" Katniss pipes up, eyes darting around the room as the door slams shut behind her.

Sidonia lets out a dark chuckle. "The basics of our bargain with President Snow. To keep you alive. Clove, say hello to your new best friend." She's not pointing at Haymitch, she's pointing to the girl who killed the boy I love.

To appease the Capitol and the President, Sidonia and Haymitch have told the public that we were in a secret alliance throughout the Games. Two girls using the boys who claimed to be in love with them to fight their way to the crown. Pretending to like them back, when all along the final plan was to destroy them at the last hurdle.

According to our mentors, even the footage of the Games is being edited in favour of our friendship. The fight at the feast was nothing more than a ruse for a discussion of our endgame plans, only our plot was interrupted by Thresh trying to kill me. Even my desperate attempt to hold onto Cato before he fell to the mutts was an act. All formulated by two drinking buddies who were formerly deemed useless.

I can do nothing whilst they speak. I sit in silence, waiting as the information pours into one ear and vaguely registers, but it's difficult to process anything properly. They want me to pretend I planned Cato's death. They want me to pretend that I never loved him. They want to turn me into a snake.