FIFTEEN

FIFTEEN - 

After eighteen other tributes, I'm expecting the crowds to be bored and merciless by the time the girl from 12 steps up to the stage.

Her stylist seems to be keeping in theme with her fiery entrance look right up until the last moments before the Games begin, as her interview dress is fitted with the same fake flames as her black jumpsuit from the opening ceremony. For the first time this week, it registers in my mind that her name is Katniss. When Caesar asks her to twirls for him she sets the audience gasping with delight. Glimmer mimes sticking her fingers down her throat and I have to catch myself before I burst into laughter.

Beside me, Cato is seething, face set into a hard line, hands gripping the edges of the seat. I'm trying my best to ignore it, and Glimmer's imitation gagging is lightening the mood, but I can't deny that I'm furious too. Tonight was the last chance we had to take the top spots. The best of District 2 have been upstaged once again, by an impoverished girl in a pretty costume.

And we still have no idea what she showed the Gamemakers.

Sidonia was right from the off – this Katniss Everdeen bitch could cause us some serious trouble. But I'm not about to let Cato see how irritated I am. That'll just make him worse. So instead I make a show of readjusting my skirts, making sure to brush my fingertips against his whitened knuckles. He blinks a couple of times, slowly coming to, and I counter his suddenly impassive expression with a rapid smile. A small but noticeable breath leaves his lips and he settles back into his chair, no less impressed but at least he doesn't look like he wants to kill anybody. He should save those kinds of emotions for tomorrow, when the life of the girl who has consistently brought us down will finally be ours to claim.

It's the boy from 12, the one we never bothered to take notice of, who really knocks my allies and I out of the water, though. It's clear from the moment he sits down opposite Caesar that he has a way with words – his witty replies are lightning fast, and an exchange with the host involving the difference between Capitol and District 12 showers has the crowds doubled over in fits of laughter. Cato has leant forwards in his chair, chin propped up on his fist, eyeing the two of them curiously. Waiting to see what happens next.

"I don't believe it, strong young lad like you. Says Caesar. "Peeta, I'll ask you again, is there a special girl back home?"

"Well, there is this one girl." Replies the boy, Peeta must be his name. I hadn't taken notice of his either, apparently. Didn't think either of them would be any cause for concern. Clearly I was wrong. "But I don't think even winning will help in my case."

Caesar regards him curiously. "And why is that?" The audience are so quiet you could hear a pin drop."

"Because she came here with me." He says. And in that moment Cato Hadley looses his pedestal.

I don't care whether anybody notices, the moment I see his form ready to spring from the chair, I reach out a hand to close around his wrist, sharply jerking him back into line. I fix him with a pointed glare, and I'm hoping the cameras haven't noticed our state of unrest, but they seem to me far more interested in the face of Katniss Everdeen, who is staring at her own picture on the screens dotted about the City Circle with wide eyes.

It has to be a ruse, a stunt to ensure 12 stay the favourites. From opening ceremony, to that training score, to the declaration of doomed love Peeta has just offered his District partner. But she seems too stunned, her expression far too natural and confused for this to have been planned. No, there is some truth in it. Definitely. A fantastic move which could have been played by us, long before the pair had even taken the stage, if only Sidonia could have thought of it first. Or if we did not hail from 2.