𝟎𝟏; travis's attempted suicide

A blonde leaned against the counter with her arms crossed over her chest, watching her younger blonde sister pour a glass of orange juice for their father

    A blonde leaned against the counter with her arms crossed over her chest, watching her younger blonde sister pour a glass of orange juice for their father. Joan leaned forward and grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and took a bite into it. Cher and Joan were very different—Cher was one of the most popular girls in the school, along side her best friend, Dionne. Joan was a very plain high school girl, who just wanted to leave Beverly Hills and head to the East Coast where she would attend college.

    "Daddy!" Mel walks into the room with a frantic look on his face as he searches for his briefcase, gently knocking his oldest daughter out of the way to see if it was behind her. Joan scoffs and walks away from him and toward the window. Mel looks at Cher who holds up the glass and he shakes his head, holding his hand out. "Cher, please don't start with the juice." He digs under papers on the island, but there was no luck.

    He walks around the island, making Joan press her body up against the wall so their bodies wouldn't touch. Cher follows him like a lost puppy. "But daddy, you need your vitamin c."

    "Where is my briefcase?" He asks himself, looking under more items around the kitchen. Joan thinks back to the phone call she had received earlier that morning and cleared her throat. "Mel, it's been a few months. why don't we head to Malibu?" Mel pauses and turns to look at his oldest daughter. "Don't tell me those brain dead lowlifes are calling again."

    Joan scoffs a chuckle, crossing an arm under the other while holding the bitten apple close. "I mean, they are your parents." Mel rolls his eyes and continues. Cher sends Joan a look but she shrugs it off and throws the rest of the apple in the trash. He grabs his keys and heads for the living room, but spots his briefcase on the counter farthest to the left. "Oh," he turns and faces the two, "Josh is in town and he is coming over for dinner."

    "Why?" Cher asks and Joan furrows her eyebrows. Josh was their step-brother for a few months, until their father and his mother had gotten a divorce, five years ago and yet, whenever he comes into town, their father invites him over. "He's your stepbrother."

    "You were hardly even married to his idiot of a mother and that was five years ago. Why do we have to see Josh?" Joan asks, crossing her arms over her chest. Mel points a finger at her and glares, "Hey," he says in a warning tone. Joan rolls her eyes and bends over, grabbing her bag and walks toward her father and sister. "We divorce wives, not children."

    "Well, tell that to our mother." Joan snaps as she slides in between the two and walks toward the front door. Mel sighs heavily and rubs his face while Cher frowns. Before their mother had left, Joan was her mini-me and she loved her dearly, but they haven't seen or spoken to her in eight years after she had left their father for another man.