03 | mad eye moody

the first day of the hogwarts and i already felt like skipping the glasses but hermione gave me a glare which made me rush to the bathroom. once i was bathed and dressed up in my robes, i walked out of the bathroom, greeting parvati on the way.

"i still can't believe it." hermione spoke up while we were on our way to the great hall. i gave her a questioning glance to explain what she meant.

"draco malfoy was staring at you!" she exclaimed, sounding a bit baffled.

"oh?" i raised my eyebrows at her,"he was probably just thinking about ways to trouble us."

"really?" hermione faked a laughter making me roll my eyes at her. she was making a big fuss out of nothing.

i quietly ate my breakfast, giving occasional smiles to whoever passed by.

having done with our breakfast, we walked to the defense again dark arts class. i sat beside hermione while ron and harry sat across us. mad eye moody sprang inside, straight to the board. he took the chalk and scribbled his name on the board.

"alastor moody." he spoke,"ex-auror ministry malcontent."

he turned away from the black board, "and your new defense against the dark arts teacher. i'm here because D
dumbledore asked me end of story, goodbye! the end." he said defensively, "any questions?"

the whole class went silent. nobody spoke up. everybody was taken aback.

when no one said anything, he spoke up again,"when it comes to dark arts, i believe in a practical approach. but first which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses are there?"

hermione raised her hand and his mechanical eye moved over to her and he nodded. "There's three sir."

He scribbled what hermione had said onto the board,"and they are so named?"

"because they're unforgivable. using anyone of them will-"

"will earn you a one way ticket to azkaban. correct." he interrupted. "now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. i say different!"

"you need to be prepared! you need to find somewhere else to deal your chewing gum, mr. finnigan." H
he yelled everybody turned around to see an astonished seamus.

"aw no way, the codger can see out the back of his head!" whispered seamus making me let out a snort.

moody turned furiously and threw a chalk at seamus," and hear  across classroom."

i was really intrigued by mad eye moody.

"so which curse shall we see first?" he asked calmly but again," WEASELY!" he barked, lingering over ron's desk.

ron whimpered,"yes?"

"stand!"  ron quickly jumped to his feet.

"give us a curse."

ron glanced around and spoke,"well my dad told me about one... the imperious curse."

moody nodded,"ahh yes, you're father would know all about that. gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. perhaps this wil show you why." he walked back to the front of the class and took something from a jar. it was a spider.

"imperio." he muttered. the spider started to move under his control. "if she bites, she's lethal." moody laughed before dropping it on ron's head.

the audacity.

"what are you laughing at?" he moved it from ron to malfoy's face, who freaked out.

i lost my shit and laughed loudly at his terrified face, turning everyone's attention towards me, including malfoy's. as soon as he saw me, he put up a straight face, looking flustered.

"talented isn't she? what shall i have her do next? jump out of the window?" he laughed while moving it towards the window. "or drown herself?" he hovered it over a bucket of water.

"another, another." moody continued. a few people raised their hands.

"longbottom is it? up!"

neville stood up shakily.

"there's the um.. cruciatus curse."

"correct. correct. come, come. particularly nasty." he moved the spider on the table,"the torture curse... crucio!"

the spider squealed in pain which bothered neville.

he twitched in pain. i felt my throat going dry on just imagining the pain the spider was going through.

"STOP IT! can't you see it's bothering him?! stop it!" hermione screamed.

i held her hand, rubbing it to calm her down. moody stopped, carried the spider to our desk, on hermione's book

"perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse, miss granger." hermione shook her head, taking deep breaths.

he pointed his wand at the spider,"avada kedvara."

the spider was dead. I squirmed in my seat. hermione and me were still holding hands, trying to comfort each other.

"the killing curse. only one person has known to have survived it. and he's sitting in this room." he stood over harry's desk for a moment.

yes, only harry is the one who lived. voldemort was after my brother not me which is why i was much more bubbly than harry. he had a lot on his plate unlike me.

just as the bell rang, i unclasped my hand with hermione and ran outside. i felt suffocating in that class. i lazily walked around for a bit before heading towards the dungeons for the potions class. now, i had no energy to bear snape's torture but potions was the only subject that came under the area of my understanding.

as i had no motivation to get scolded or shouted at by snape for absolute no reason, i stood at the very back of the class where the major slytherins stood.

i passed a small smile to blaise and theodore who were the only slytherins i could tolerated─ rest are unbearable.

snape was going on and on about the calming draught while i fought the urge to fall asleep. he ordered us all to start brewing our potions which made me snap out of my dreams. i opened my book in front of myself and looked up to find malfoy standing in front of me with his cauldron set up on the table i had chose for myself.

"hey, go away." i exclaimed.

"shut up potter." he non chalantly muttered and pushed my book aside so he could keep his.

"what the fuck?" i hissed, glaring at him but he kept on working with his potion.

"don't curse." he smirked, amused to find me really mad at him. my blood boiled in my veins and i ended up pushing his cauldron on the floor. the screeching sound made everyone jump away in fear.

snape launched toward us but before he could do so, malfoy pushed my cauldron as well and it broke into millions of pieces.

"MISS POTTER!" snape barked, his eyes turning the darkest shades,"this behavior won't be tolerated in my class."

"malfoy did it as well." i gritted.

"she was the one fighting. she could have just found another table." malfoy defended himself.

"detention both of you!" snape exclaimed, done with our shit,"and clean this up."

well, the first day didn't age well.

a/n: btw i changed the title from the potter girl to night changes. the former was too mediocre.