Slytherin quidditch team tryouts

"Mr. Potter! MR. MALFOY! Leave them alone this instance!"

Professor McGonagall stormed down the east wing corridor towards two Slytherin first years, who were tormenting some first year Hufflepuffs.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Professor McGonagall said in her usual accusing tone. She turned towards the Hufflepuffs. "What is going on here?"

A strawberry blond Hufflepuff spoke up, causing Malfoy to give her one of his famous death stares. "They were insulting us and all of Hufflepuff house. They were calling us all potatoes."

"Never in my career here at Hogwarts have I heard anything so insulting," Professor McGonagall said. "10 points from Slytherin for each of you and you'll both be serving detention. I believe Mr. Filch has some work he'd be only too happy for you to do."

*******

"Some of the fifth year students thought it would be funny to mess up the trophy room. It seems fitting for you to clean it up. Oh and your Professor thought it a good idea to make you do it WITHOUT magic. So, give me your wands," said Filch grinning with pleasure.

The boys gave over their wands reluctantly and began to clean up the trophy room.

"Hey, Potter. Come, look at this." Malfoy was holding a wooden shield. "What's your dad's name again?"

"James. Why?"

"Looks like he was a seeker for the Gryffindor team." Malfoy held up the shield for Harry to see.

"Really? Wait, aren't Slytherin holding tryouts for a new seeker soon?"

"Yeah. I was thinking about trying out. You should come."

*******

"OKAY SLYTHERIN TEAM! TRYOUTS ARE FOR OUR NEW SEEKER. YOU MUST PERFORM WELL ON THE BROOM. YOU MUST BE FAST, AGILE AND QUICK THINKING. NOT TO MENTION HAVE A GOOD EYE FOR SMALL, QUICK FLYING THINGS." Marcus Flint, captain and chaser for the Slytherin quidditch team, was yelling instructions at the group of Slytherins gathered on the quidditch pitch. Harry and Draco were both holding they're battered, school broomsticks and examining their competition, occasionally pointing out the ones who looked like the strongest competition.

"YOU WILL BE TESTED AGAINST EACH OTHER IN PAIRS AND THE FIRST TO CATCH THE SNITCH QUALIFIES FOR THE NEXT ROUND WHERE YOU'LL COMPETE AGAINST THE OTHER WINNERS. THIS WILL REPEAT UNTIL IT REACHES THE FINAL PAIR! THE WINNER OF WHICH WILL BE CROWNED OUR NEW SEEKER!"

The first pair kicked off the ground and prepared to race for the snitch. This pair consisted of a tall mousy brown girl and a relatively large greasy haired boy. The girl caught the snitch within the first 5 minutes. The next pair went, then the next and about 5 pairs later it was time for Harry and Draco to kick off. The snitch, unfortunately, decided to go especially fast and often changed direction. Even so, it was really close with both Harry and Draco centimetres away from catching it.

The snitched dive bombed with both Draco and Harry following. It was a test of the skill. Neither of them wanted to pull up, they knew that if they did, they'd be out. When they were a mere 10 metres off the ground, Malfoy pulled up. This was Harry's chance. The snitch pulled up 2 metres above the ground and Harry followed. He reached out to catch it, inching forwards on his broom. So close now. Centimetres decreasing by the second. Just as he was about to fall off his broom, he caught it. He raised his fist high in the air, grasping the snitch so it could not fly away. He was through to the next round.

Harry was in the fourth pair this round, against a large boy with more flab than muscle. The girl with mousy brown hair won her round faster than her last one. Harry was sure she would get the position. The boy Harry was against had won his last round by clobbering his opponent over the head with his fist. This was going to be hard to win but Harry had aerodynamics on his side.