2. Worthless piece of shit

Lane was a handsome boy. He had blue eyes, a mass of blond hair and a charming smile. But most of all he had my heart. I was fourteen years of age when the full course changes of puberty hit me. At that time, I also got a crush on Lane, one that would eventually crush me. I had not told anyone that I liked Lane. Not even my friend Esther. I don't even know where I got the balls to tell my brother, Khalil, but I did.

Khalil was not happy. He asked me why. Why of all boys did I have to like Lane ? I didn't understand his question. Khalil was my brother . He was supposed to support me and probably tell me how best to approach Lane. Khalil was mad. To make it worse, he never told me why. Khalil always kept things to himself. Usually placid, and only loud when he saw something bad was about to happen. I didn't know that Lane was one of the boys that had earlier fought my brother when he was twelve. I found out later. I found out later when I had gone to Roxanne's birthday party and I had told Lane about my crush for him. He had spat at the ground where I stood. He called me a worthless piece of shit. And even with tears in my eyes, when I asked him why he had said that he laughed.

"You're asking why? " He retorted and the small crowd around us was growing.

I was embarrassed but I had to stay strong because my mother had always told me that strength gives you power.

"It's because you're black. You heard me. Just the mere sight of you is annoying enough." He said. That was how Lane declared himself a racist to the whole world. All the black kids at school began to avoid him. Even a few white kids whose parents had raised them well and told them that Black people are human too. That is also why Khalil swore to end that kind of treatment.

Towards us, the black community. My rejection by Lane drove Khalil to study law. But maybe my incident was just a spark. The real ignition was the continuous conviction and death of black people, and Khalil was more than determined to fight.