Part 3

Virgil swam towards shore, dragging Roman's limp form with him. The prince's lips were tinted blue and his skin was pale, a faint bluish purple tone to his fingers. Virgil kicked harder, gasping for air with the effort of dragging them both to shore from the cold waters. His legs burned, like his lungs, holding his breath so long had hurt more than he expected.

As he got closer to shore, Remus and Janus appeared from the woods nearby. Remus ran into the water, meeting Virgil halfway as he helped the other drag Roman's unconscious form to shore. They pulled him up enough that the water only just touched his feet on the bigger waves, spreading him out so his wings had room; they dripped water and the gold was dull, no longer reflecting the sunlight as brightly as it did below the waves.

Patton and Logan stumbled over with help from Janus, whose face was ashen and eyes just a bit wider than normal. Patton kneeled besides Roman, holding his hand, Logan next to him, eyes still wide and almost unseeing, a hand on Patton's shoulder as the moral side cried softly.

Remus moved to hold Roman's head in his lap, eyes wide as he stared at the other- his unnatural silence disturbing and heartbreaking. He didn't tear his eyes away, tears beginning to form in his eyes. Remus never cried, they would realise later. Then again... Roman had never looked so dead before.

Virgil looked at Roman's limp form, face screwing up in anger and sadness. Hot, angry tears filled his eyes and he took a shaky breath. He gripped the fabric of his shirt, swallowing thickly.

Janus looked to him and bit his lips, eyes troubled and brows furrowed. "Virgil.." he said quietly, but the other cut him off.

"No," he hissed. Virgil took a shaky breath. "Wake up, you idiot!" he snapped at Roman, glaring at the prince's form. "Wake up you dumb, stupid, annoyingly sing-y idiot-" with every word he moved to hit Roman's chest with the side of his first, but the actions were desprate and not meant to hurt like an attack, "-Wake up!" he sobbed, anger fading to show sorrow.

Janus reached out to touch Virgil's shoulder as the anxious side cried, but Virgil slapped his hand away, eyes wide and red, his eyeshadow trailing down with his tears. Janus drew back and watched Virgil stand up and walk to a tree, shaking. The anxious side screamed and punched the tree, making Patton and Janus flinch in sync at the loud thuds that followed.

Remus gazed down at Roman and bit his lips. "...Wake up," he whispered, voice fragile, unheard by the rest of their small family. "...I can't... I can't lose you.." he said quietly, tears starting to roll down his cheeks as he bowed his head more, closing his eyes as sobs began to build in his chest.

Then Roman moved. His chest convulsed and he coughed, and Remus's eyes shot open to see his brother struggling to expel the water filling his lungs. Remus quickly helped Roman to roll over, and Patton let go of Roman's hands as he turned. The prince coughed out the water, left panting as Remus carefully rolled him back to his original position, eyes wide. Virgil had heard the coughing and rushed over, kneeling besides Roman again with wide eyes.

Remus bit his lips. "Ro-Ro?" he asked softly, and Roman looked up to his twin, vision swimming and fading at the edges.

"..Re...?" he mumbled, voice raspy.

Remus smiled a little and nodded. "Yeah," he said quietly. He sniffled a bit and drew Roman up, hugging him tightly. "Don't do that again, you idiot," He whispered, closing his eyes.

Roman nodded a little, and slowly managed to wrap his arms around Remus, wings curling around the other weakly. Patton moved closer and gently hugged the two twins, and Roman looked up, brows furrowing.

"Pat.." he whispered, and the moral side smiled sadly, nodding.

"I'm here kiddo," he whispered. "We all are," he murmured with a gentle smile, reaching out and petting Roman's hair, watching with a gentle smile as he melted, nuzzling into the hold.

Logan came up and hugged Roman as well, Virgil and Janus following, till Roman was wrapped in the warmth of everyone's arms. The Prince sniffled softly, and he closed his eyes, relaxing. Feeling safe, Roman let himself fall into unconsciousness, secure in the thought that he was safe with his family.