Chapter Thirteen: Broken & Bleak

THAT NIGHT, I RETURNED TO A COMMON ROOM THAT WAS FAR TOO EMPTY

     THAT NIGHT, I RETURNED TO A COMMON ROOM THAT WAS FAR TOO EMPTY. I called Sam's name, looking confusedly through the dormitory, not being able to find her. With Ashley gone as well, I quickly grew nervous, which prevented me from being able to finish any schoolwork.

    I sat on one of the large, faded-yellow couches after doing a quick run around the circular room, watering any plants that needed hydration, anxiously tapping the rusted watering can in my hand. On the small wooden table in front of the couch, a radio faintly played Billie Holiday songs, the jazzy tune resounding through the empty room.

    Finally, the sound of the barrel-shaped door swinging open allowed relief to flood my senses as I took a deep breath. I turned around excitedly, not at all prepared for the sight my eyes laid on. Ashley stumbled into the room, clumsily unclasping the protective gear on her elbows, a large bandage on the left side of her face.

"Ashley! Merlin's beard..." I quickly rushed to her, hearing her groan painfully as she waved away my attempts to help her.

    "Headmaster Dippet called both teams into his office. Suspended, all of us. Tryouts are cancelled."

    "Oh no...I'm so sorry."

    Ashley threw her gear onto the floor, huffing as she put her hands on her hips, the light from the fireplace casting shadows onto her face. "Suspended...suspended! It's all his fault, Malfoy, isn't it? I shouldn't have taken him to the med-wing, I should have left him there." She muttered that last part under her breath, casting her gaze towards the floor.

    I shook my head, putting a gentle hand on her arm. "That's not you, Ashley."

    "No? Well, it should be!"  She brushed past me towards the sixth-year girl's dormitories and I quickly followed her, the girls inside erupting into gossiping whispers and calls as she entered the bedroom.

    I followed her to her trunk as she aggressively opened the heavy lid, throwing her quidditch equipment into its depths. "A lot of us got hurt today, Gwen. All they were looking for was trouble, that Slytherin team, and what did we do? We helped patch up their captain!" She shook her head, biting her lip and furrowing her eyebrows. "They've been onto us since we were first years, that team. It's time we do something about it."

    I sat on the edge of her bed, prompting her confusedly. "What do you mean?"

    "I mean, it's time to fight back! We've rolled over and shown them our bellies every time they've done something like this. It's the only way to make them stop!" After her short rant concluded, she took in a deep breath, casting her eyes down to the floor.

    As I was about to speak, she put up her hand to interrupt me, her auburn curls bouncing as she shook her head. "Don't. I know what you're going to say. 'It's not right, Ashley.' 'It's not what the team's known for, Ashley.' And...you're right."