Renjun sighed before patting his shoulder. "Here."

"What?" Jade asked, staring at him. Renjun turned his head to look at her before wrapping an arm around her. He pulled her closer to him before forcing her head onto his shoulder.

"Rest." He told her. Jade tried to lift her head back up but Renjun held it down.

"You can pay me back tomorrow, just rest. Please." Jade knew that there was no arguing with him so she closed her eyes, falling into a light slumber.

...

Jade was woken up by Renjun's movements. He must have laid her down onto his sleeping bag because when she opened her eyes, he was already packing her sleeping bag for her.

"Wake the others up for me, would you?" Renjun asked her. She was confused as they sky was still dark, the stars still out.

That's when she noticed the smoke in the autumn forest. Barely noticeable but just enough for them to know it was there. It must have been started by another tribute to keep themselves warm.

Jade got up, shaking Haechan to wake him up. Haechan let out a small groan, causing Jade to cover his mouth. His eyes widened when he realized what was happening but calmed after seeing Jade's face. She motioned to the girls and Haechan nodded, proceeded to wake them up while she tended Jeno.

"Does it hurt?" Jade asked him, referring to his leg once he was awake.

"It's a little sore, but I'm fine." Jeno said but as Jade looked at the bandage, it was completely stained with his blood.

"Jeno, stay here with Jade. The rest of us can go." Renjun instructed but Jade shook her head.

"I want to go." Jade told him, hands on her hips.

"Then who's going to watch over him?" Renjun asked, glaring at her. Haechan let out a small sigh.

"I'll stay with him, you four go." Haechan said, giving in. Jade wore a proud smile as she made her way to Renjun's side.

"Are you sure you can handle this? We'll be killing another tribute." Renjun whispered into her ear. Jade nodded her head.

"I need to get over it." Jade said to him. Renjun gave her a small nod, letting her join then.

"Can we go now?" Bora asked, hands on her hips as she tapped her food impatiently.

"Yeah, let's go." Renjun said, following the two other girls towards the smoke.

...

The autumn forest was hard to walk in, the dry leaves and twigs cracking under their feet. This made the Careers travel a lot slower than they had originally intended.

"This is so annoying." Hyewon muttered as they walked.

Jade noticed a golden bell shinning in the moonlight, one of the traps built by the District 9 boy. She pulled Bora and Hyewon back, gaining Renjun's attention. As he saw the bell as well, he nodded, guiding the group around the path. Eventually, they found the fire.

The Careers hid between the trees, watching the District 8 girl, who was probably no older than thirteen, rubbing her hands together as she sat shivering. The poor girl must have been freezing, trying her best not to attract their attention but finally gave in from the cold.

"It's okay. I'll put the fire out in a bit. They won't notice." The girl mumbled to herself. Jade pitied the girl, but in this game of survival, she had made the wrong move. Jade felt Renjun's fingers lightly brush her back. It was a small sign of reassurance. They had to kill her. There's no other way.