He had cradled his son's face in his hands as his other brothers had begged forgiveness, recounting all that had happened. Sorrow gave way to shock when Yudhisthira told him that it was his bitterest foe, Vasusena Karna, who had defied Duryodhana and brought Abhimanyu here. He had even stayed behind and held Abhimanyu as if he was his own child, calming him down so Vibodh and the others could operate upon him.

Arjuna could hardly believe it. Karna? The man who had all but bartered his righteousness for a golden crown, prostrating himself in pathetic servitude at his cousin's feet, supporting all his evil machinations, that man had saved his child? He was now indebted to the man who took an oath to destroy him?

Where is he, he remembered asking. Krishna entered the tent behind them, stating that Karna had left and that the War was most likely over, for after Karna's forsaking, Duryodhana would not continue the war. His brothers had remained respectfully skeptical until the royal messenger from the Kaurava camp arrived the next day, confirming Krishna's prediction. While his brothers exchanged open mouthed stares, Arjuna glanced at Krishna who had an indecipherable look on his face as he stared intensely at the message that he had taken off Bheema's hands. He sighed deeply then nodded at Yudhisthira as a signal to inform the rest of their allies about this new development.

And so King Dhritrashtra arrived at Kurukshetra formally, handing over the reins of Indraprastha which had been stolen away from them in that wretched dice game all those years ago. Duryodhana was not present, neither was Dushasan, Guru Drona, Ashwahtthama, Kripacharya or anyone who had sided with the Kauravas. Hours later, Dhristyadhuma informed them that Karna had relinquished the throne of Anga and left Kurukshetra. Duryodhana, who had been utterly and irreparably broken, hadn't left his chambers no matter how much King Dhritrashtra or his brothers begged him to and the rest of the warriors had taken refuge in their private tents some still reeling from shock, others from relief. 

"Father, we will reach Hastinapur by evening. We still have 12 yojanas to cover", Abhimanyu informed him and then went straight ahead to where he was originally riding alongside the deputy army chief.

Vasusen Karna. It was because of him that his child was still alive. He still couldn't believe it though. There very few people he hated in life, As Yudhisthira always told them it was futile to hold grudges, all it did was give one further pain and sorrow but that man...........Arjuna had hated him with an intensity that shocked even himself. He didn't even loathe Duryodhana as much as he loathed him, despite everything Duryodhana was still his cousin, no matter what he said.

It baffled him how deep his resentment of Karna ran . Most people thought it was because he was his only true competition to the title of the World's greatest Archer, but that was not it. The man was uniquely gifted, even Arjuna couldn't deny it and he never had. Was it because he was a low caste, downtrodden Suta who had no business picking up weapons that he would never be worthy of? But no, that was not it either. It could be because of his actions at the royal Assembly when he had insulted Draupadi and questioned her chastity, Draupadi who was as pure as the holy waters of Ganga in which he offered arghya everyday without fail. But no, he had hated him before that wretched incident, even before Varanavat where Duryodhana had planned to burn them to cinders, in order to destroy all the obstacles in his path to the throne of Hastinapura.

Why then? Why did he hate him so much?