2

Damian knelt beside the girl and felt her neck, even though he was pretty sure she was dead. There was no pulse, proving he was right. He turned towards the others. "Get the police and ambulance." 

Karen raced into the house and got her phone. Brady glanced at the clock. It was already midnight. What was a girl doing walking around covered in blood at this hour? Who would want to do that to her? Alicia grabbed Damian's car keys. "I'm going to the end of the road. This house is pretty hard to find." 

Matthew got up. "Be careful. Someone might still be out there." 

"Okay," Alicia said and ran off. 

Brady grabbed his flashlight and phone. I'm going to check around the area. The person who did this could still be out there." 

Alicia drove down the road when a shadow ran towards her. She slammed on the brakes nearly running into a tree. She looked around in a panic to see if there was anyone there and the shadow had disappeared. The sound of sirens alerted her and she got out of the car. She got out of the car and waved as two squad cars and an ambulance arrived. A police officer got out of the car. "Ma'am, are you okay?" he asked. 

Alicia ran a hand through her hair. "I nearly ran into someone." 

The officer nodded. "Well then lead the way." 

Alicia got in the car and led the officers to the house. They got out of the car and ran to the doorway where Damian was doing CPR even though it was useless. A medic hurried over and knelt beside the girl. He shook his head and looked at his partner. The second medic brought a body bag and helped her partner put the girl in it. 

Brady walked across the dark beach. He saw some bonfires scattered around but nothing suspicious. He headed towards the house again. As he got on the path which was surrounded by trees he heard a noise. He turned around but nothing was there. He kept walking when he noticed a shadow in the bushes. "Hello?" 

The shadow came closer and Brady took off running. He stumbled on the front porch. Matthew frowned. "What's going on?" 

"The shadow. It was right there. I swear," Brady stammered. 

Karen took a deep breath. "We're all tired and it's been a big night. Let's just deal with this in the morning. We're going in for questioning tomorrow morning. It's just a procedure. They said we should rest." 

"I don't know about you but I don't feel comfortable sleeping in separate rooms," Alicia said sheepishly. 

"Yeah for real. Let's just stay here in the living room," Matthew agreed. 

The group got settled on the couches and chairs and dozed off. The next morning they woke up and got ready for the police. After being interviewed by the police they went down to the mortuary to learn how the girl died. When they arrived a man stepped out of the building and led them to where he was keeping her. "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen," he said. 

"Hey," Riley said with a smile. 

"My name is Andy. The girl I'm about to tell you about is called Melissa," Andy explained as he pulled Melissa's body out. 

Andy handed everyone gloves and a mask. He put on his own gloves and mask and put unzipped the bag. "Okay. We found some kind of poison in Melissa's bloodstream. We're not entirely sure what it is though. We know that it was put in her food. Clearly the person didn't think she was dying fast enough so they beat her, which is why there was blood all over her face. She has trauma to the head showing she was hit with a blunt object. She was very weak and then she was shot in the chest from a far distance. There's no exit wound but we got the bullet out. It was from a pistol. Now, how all this happened we don't know. This was clearly personal. In a typical homicide, no one goes through this much effort. They'll shoot someone or poison them and move on. This person did both." 

"Before she died, she told us to run," Damian muttered. 

Andy nodded as he checked Melissa to make sure he hadn't missed anything. "Did she say what you should run from?" 

"She wasn't able to finish the sentence," Riley answered. 

Karen backed out of the room and ran down the hall and out the door. She kept running down the road until she reached the beach. She ran to the boardwalk and went to the beach. She couldn't handle it. The idea of someone being killed at her beach house disgusted her. "Excuse me, ma'am. Are you okay?" a woman asked. 

Karen turned around. "I'll be okay." 

Brady drove towards the house talking to the others. After learning how Melissa had been killed, everyone was on edge. Brady parked in the driveway and the group went inside. Riley picked up a note on the small table where they kept the keys. "Listen to this. I made a mistake. It won't happen again. I'm coming for you. Watch your back." 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you have any suggestions for what should happen next I'm open to that. I'll be updating every Thursday🙏