[06] Conflicted

Ellie stayed home for most of the weekend. Her friends came over during the weekend, but other than that, she didn't do much.

When she went to school on Monday, she went to her locker first. She didn't try to find Aaron and Anthony. She spent the entire weekend thinking of what they told her weeks earlier about Farkle and how he looks at her.

They were right. She did like Farkle. She did have feelings for him.

There was one problem: she cared too much about Farkle and their friendship then admit her feelings to him.

Her repressing her feelings only led to her feelings growing stronger.

"El, what's wrong?" Aaron asked when he got to her.

"Nothing," Ellie lied.

Aaron raised his eyebrows knowing that it was a lie.

"It's nothing, okay?" Ellie said. "I don't want to talk about it."

He sighed. "Fine."

Ellie bit her lip and sighed in frustration.

"You're right," she said.

"What?" Aaron said.

"You're right," Ellie repeated. "I like Farkle."

"Oh," Aaron raised his eyebrows. "How -"

"I saw him with Smackle and their friends," she explained. "And I realized that I like him. A lot."

"Huh."

"Is it bad that I think that Farkle deserves someone better than Smackle?" Ellie said, guiltily.

"I don't know," Aaron said.

"I like him and I know that I want him to be happy, even if it's not with me, but seeing how Smackle is, I just...."

"Farkle should be someone who doesn't make comments like Smackle," Aaron said.

"Yeah," she said. "I mean," she shut her locker door and she and Aaron began to walk, "Smackle is nice and everything, but..."

"Yeah, I get it," Aaron said.

"I hate this so much," Ellie said. "I feel like I can't do anything about this."

"It's going to be okay," Aaron promised. "Whatever you're going through or will go through, Anthony and I will always be there for you, like always."

"Yeah?" Ellie said, smiling weakly.

"Yeah," he said. "You're our best friend. We wouldn't leave you like that."

"Thank you," Ellie said, hugging Aaron."

Aaron smiled and wrapped his arm around Ellie as they hugged.

"We love you too much to let you go."

"I love you too," Ellie said.

They let go.

"Where's Anthony?"

"He's sick," Aaron said.

"Oh," Ellie said, disappointedly. "I hope he gets better soon."

"Yeah, me too," Aaron said.

They entered their history class and took their usual seats.

"Wanna come over after school?" Aaron said.

"Sure," Ellie said. "But I wanna check on Anthony first before we head over to your place."

Aaron nodded in agreement.