[03] High School

Ellie and her brothers went to school on the subway. They could've taken the car to the school, but they felt like it would draw attention to themselves and they didn't want that. Sure, there were classmates who would take the car, but everyone knew of the Turner kids. 

Everyone knew that the Turner kids had wealthy parents. With this type of reputation, Justin, Ellie and Tyler didn't want to bring their attention to themselves. Especially Ellie, who hated the attention. 

It was the first day of school and it was the first day of high school for Ellie. Justin was starting the eleventh grade and Tyler the 7th grade. 

Ellie held onto the poll and saw Riley Matthews, Maya Hart and Noah Taylor in the subway. Noah was a good friends of hers. They always got along and Noah was always there for her when she needed a friend.

Noah noticed Ellie from where he was at and waved at her. She smiled at him and waved back.

"Who's that?" Justin asked, noticing Noah wave.

"A friend from school," she said.

Justin glared at Noah. 

"Justin, he's just a friend," she said. "He has a girlfriend."

"Oh," Justin said, seeming more relaxed.

They got to the high school. John Quincy Adams Middle School wasn't far from the high school. It was a five minute walk for Tyler to get to it from Abigail Adams High School.

"If you need anything," Justin said as they walked into the building, "just let me know."

"Thanks," Ellie smiled, weakly. 

Ellie looked around the school. It looked nice and Ellie just hopes that it's better than middle school.

"Ellie, hey," Ellie heard her friend, Aaron, greet her.

Ellie turned around and say Aaron Davis.

"Oh, hey, Aaron," Ellie said. 

She forced a smile on her face. She was happy to see her best friend, but she didn't want anyone to know about what she's going through. 

"How's your summer?" Ellie asked.

"Good," Aaron said. "How was yours?"

"Alright," she said. 

"Have you seen Anthony?"

"Not yet," Ellie said. "He might be late," she and Aaron began to walk, "as usual."

"Yeah," Aaron chuckled. 

"How are your brothers?" Aaron asked.

"They're good," Ellie said. "How's your sister? Did she started university yet?"

"Yeah," he said. "She started last week. Peyton moved back in with us after she finished her first year at Pace University."

"Why didn't she get an apartment?" Ellie asked.

"Too expensive," Aaron said. "My parents didn't want her to live in an apartment. She already has a part time job, but it's still been expensive. She's been putting a lot of what she makes at work into her savings to be able to get an apartment."

Ellie nodded.

"Ellie! Aaron!" they heard Anthony Miller call them.

They turned around to see a dark haired boy rushing over to them.

"Hey," he said, with a smile on his face. "How are you guys? Did you have a good summer?"

"Yeah," Aaron said.

"It was alright," Ellie shrugged.

"Do you guys have any plans after school?" Anthony asked. "I think we can go to the movies and pizza."

"Sounds good," Aaron said.

Ellie nodded. "Alright," she said. "Sounds fun."

"Great," Anthony smiled. "What do you guys have History first thing?"

"Yeah," Ellie and Aaron said.

"With Matthews?" Anthony raised his eyebrows.

"Yup," Ellie said.

"Uh - huh," Aaron said. "It seems like no matter what happens," they began to walk, "we can never escape the man," he said as they entered Mr. Matthews' classroom, "he's everywhere," he lowered his voice only for Anthony and Ellie to hear.

"Did you three have a good summer?" Mr. Cory Matthews asked the trio.

"Yeah, we did," Aaron spoke for the three of them.

"How was your summer, sir?" Ellie asked her history.

"Good," he said, "thank you. Hey, Ellie, can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Um, yeah, sure," she said.

"Come over here," Mr. Matthews said. "Swing a chair by my desk."

Anthony and Aaron gave Ellie confused looks as she stood up and brought her desk chair with her to Mr. Matthews' desk.

"How is everything, really?" he asked, concerned.

"I haven't seen my dad in months," she said. "And my mom is constantly busy with work."

"That bad?" he asked.

She nodded, sadly. "I just wish things went back to normal."

"I know it's tough," he said. "You're a strong girl."

"I'm trying," she said, "but it's hard."

"I'm sorry," he said, sympathetically. "You can come talk to me if you need to talk to someone. And you have two great friends over there."

"I know, sir," Ellie said. 

"You may rejoin your friends," Mr. Matthews said.

"Thank you, Mr. Matthews," she smiled at him teacher.

"Anytime, Miss. Turner," he smiled at her. 

Ellie rejoined her friends and they talked until class started.