Chapter 10: Mason's Plan

When the school bell rang, Mason was the first one out of his final class. He ran down the stairs and down the hallway without stopping. He hopes to make it out of the building without any interruptions. He was almost to the doors when Connor stopped him.

"Hey, Mason, " he said.

"Hey, Connor, " he said frustratingly before he could go out the door.

"Is it true that you're the protector now?"

"Yeah, but only until Lexi feels better."

"I bet you're gonna give those zombies a real beating, " Nathan chimed in. "Once they meet you, they won't think about coming here again."

"Yeah..." Mason groaned.

"By the way, are we still seeing you tonight?"

"Actually, I'm supposed to be on watch tonight."

"Sweet, " Connor exclaimed. "If you ever get to fight zombies, would you tear their head off and bring it to me?" Mason hurried out the door in response. "All I wanted was a souvenir."

Outside, Mason was heading home and thinking to himself.

"Okay, " he thought. "I'll just simply stay at home on purpose and when the next day comes, I'll say that I had to study for a test. An important test. An exam....but it's only October. No one will believe that I was studying for an exam in October. Especially me. I'll tell them I overslept. I took a nap and forgot to set the alarm...but falling asleep would take to long. Forget it. Either way, this school is a goner if I don't show up. And if I do show up, I'm dead meat."

"Hey, Mason."

Mason looked back and saw Kardierre, Essence, and Bree.

"Where's Finn?" he asked.

"He had his mom pick him up, " Essence explained. "He thinks you're still mad at him."

"Anyway, we heard that you're on watch tonight and we wanna wish you good luck, " said Bree.

" 'Luck, luck, luck.' That's what everyone's been saying to me. Why is everyone making it sound like a funeral? Might as well hire a mortician."

"Hey, Mason. Take it easy. We're just saying it because we look up to you and we don't want you to get hurt," said Essence. "If you can't look out Miller South, who will?"

"I know. Tell Finn to meet me by the gate tonight."

"We're on it, Mason," said Kardierre.