Chapter 5: A menacing smirk.

A week after the accident.

Sister Janet found it hard to reveal the truth of Rajiv's accident to Sahana. If she did, she knew that Sahana wasn't a kid to not know which Industrialist had a big accident recently. Sahana could have already picked out that Rajiv was her benefactor, if not for the truth that there are many sponsors for the Malhotra's Trust. Rajiv's persistence in revealing his identity, to Sahana, made it impossible for Janet to involve. So she revealed nothing much.

~*~

Location: Bangalore, India.

The Board received an emergency meeting notice, for appointing a temporary CEO for the upcoming prestigious, hotel chains in Asia, which the Malhotra Industries took over as a part of penetrating the hotel Industry, not only in Asia but also in other parts of the world. The discussions were going on to find out a suitable person for the CEO position, a few months back. Many proved their worthiness. Nonetheless, Rajiv was never satisfied. He felt that most of them lacked a tiny yet vital element of proactiveness aspect in them. The Board who thought that Rajiv was being more than extra cautious, wanted to exploit the break to increase the brand value of the Malhotra Industries in his absence.

Jai never had a good rapport with most of the Board. He didn't even know the existence of some of them. All he did whenever the meetings were held was to be in his thoughts. And now, standing in the elevator, which soon will reach the floor where the meeting will be held, he awkwardly sighed for the 100th time trying to recollect the speech that he must deliver as the heir to the Malhotra family. Unbeknownst to him, a surprise was already waiting in the hands of the Board. The elevator stopped on the designated floor and he left out towards the conference hall. Twisting the knob, his father's secretary, Paul, who accompanied Jai, opened the door slightly, giving an inside view of the room to Jai. Jai's heart started beating faster as he entered, and he couldn't hear Paul telling him, "All the best sir."

He blindly walked to his seat after acknowledging the wishes of very few of the members present there. He tried to concentrate on the file that is kept in front of him and the water bottle that was kept a few centimeters away from it. There was a tab in front of every Board member along with him. Looking at the chair that belonged to his father, he couldn't help but feel more nervous. He could feel Paul taking a chair behind him, where personal secretaries are supposed to sit. He could feel many weird glances from the members. Of course, he knew he would get them. After all, he was the infamous playboy, who either dumped the girls that belong to the families of some of the board members, sitting there, or went into a fight with some of them.

~*~

Jai did his best in delivering the speech although he is not sure if it grabbed the interest of any of the people who are present there. Jyothi, who came just before the meeting should start, however, smiled at him in reassurance. After the talk of a few more people, the forum was held to nominate a new CEO. After a couple of mixed opinions, Jai faced a negative comment from one of the Board members and also a new name as a nominee for a CEO position.

"I would recommend Paul McKenzie as a best man than this person here who parade's with girls like clowns."

Some people nodded in acceptance whereas some seemed perplexed at the new nominee. Jyothi looked at Jai with wide eyes. Paul, however, remained blank. And the man who took Paul's name smirked at Jai.

"He is, of course. He proved himself as a competent P.S . I'm sure he is competent for the CEO position," said another female Board member.

Jai's fist clenched under the table, but he remained quiet. He had to. It's not like all of the people will vote as per his father's wish. Many serpents within the Board wouldn't leave a chance in taking advantage of his father's absence. But what he never imagined was the nomination of Paul. He also knew that Paul is well-versed with his father. All the years of working might make him competent.