Chapter 57: Planning Next

Start from the beginning

"I can't believe you guys met royal soldiers and a magician while I'm stuck home studying! This is the worst! Why do I have to suffer a whole week of numbers and multiple-choice questions?!"

I sigh upon hearing his complaints.

"You know why. If you don't pass your exams, Mom won't allow you to play again for an entire year or so," I tell him. "Remember what we promised her and Dad: If we want to continue playing, we have to give it all to our studies when needed. Just stay calm. Today is the last day of your exams and we've spent the whole week tutoring and studying together. I know you can pass if you put your mind to it."

I hear Kazuki sighing on the other line.

"I understand, but..."

Man, he's really unhappy despite my encouragement. I wish I can cheer him up in some other way. Before I can do so, I notice the "The World of Seraph" poster in front of me. Just seeing it reminds me of his motivation behind his love of that VRMMO game and the fantasy novels in general. This gives me an idea.

"Come on, Kaz. If you want to be a real hero, you have to learn everything you need to know about the world. That includes real life and you want to be like the hero from your favorite novels, right?"

"I-I... I guess I do."

"Then stand up and be that hero. If you don't, who will? I know you Kaz, and I know you have the confidence and courage to move forward. Besides, all real-life heroes worked and studied real hard to get to where they are right now. Same with many of the wizards you've read about in your novels."

"O-Oh yeah... They do need high Intelligence and education to perform some powerful spells and stuff. Plus, they always study their spellbooks and other things in their free time."

"Well, speaking of which, I know it's a bit early, but after the exams, we can play [Isekai] with Zac and Damon later. We do need some help on one of the [Quests] we're working on right now. Plus, we need some extra potions since we spent some on the soldiers yesterday."

"Really? Do you mean it?"

"Yep. I understand the struggles you've endured to finish your exams, so consider it a reward for your perseverance and determination. Don't worry, I'll convince Mom to let you play once the exams are over."

Kazuki then goes silent for a few seconds, at which I become a bit worried he might not believe me. But then, he speaks up.

"Alright. I'll give it my all today. You did help me with my Math, so I'm not going to waste your efforts."

I smile once I hear his answer.

"That's the spirit. I'll call you again once you finish your midterms."

"Okay, see you later."

I end the call as I entered the cafe once more and head towards my usual table.

"Sorry about that, guys," I say to my friends as I take my seat.

"I don't mean to brag, but I told you he was gonna explode once you told him," Zac says with a smirk, at which I was not amused. "You're lucky you managed to take that call outside before the manager kicked us out for all that noise."

"You forgot that if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't able to finish your burger," Damon says as he glares at him. Good to know he's reading my mind about it.

"Yeah, yeah. But still, are you sure your little bro's going to be okay? We barely survived a whole week of test papers, the smell of erasers, and too much math and algebra on our brains."