Prologue: Go With The Big Boys

-Arthur!-.

The cry at their backs had all the boys turning their heads. It was almoust as if a little bird was calling their future commander; its voice chipping against the noisy main street of the village. At first, the group saw nothing.

-Over there-pointed Tristan, a boy with unkempt dark hair, and tattoos on his cheekbones. His sight was as good as a hawk’s and he spotted the owner of the voice long before she appeared, pushing her way between the legs of those around her.

It was a little girl, not taller than a man’s knee, struggling to reach them. Her hair was dark brown, wavy and it flowed around her face, casting shadows over her pudgy pink cheeks. She had the biggest eyes, almoust too big for her small pale face. They were a strange mixture of brown specked with blue, or maybe blue specked with brown; either way they certainly stood out. They seemed to shine with begging innocence; turning her to a creature so pure, even the most brutal man would not dare to harm her. She looked like a bundle, all wrapped in furs to protect her from the cold bite of winter. Snow crunched beneath the weight of her boots as she urged her chubby legs to a trot.

-Who’s that?-a boy by the name of Gawain, with long dreadlocks of blond hair escaping from beneath his woollen hat, inquired, eyeing the toddler with surprise.

-That’s Devy-explained Arthur, slightly incommoded by the quizzical looks of the boys who would grow to be his knights when they were of age-She’s sir Aynor’s daughter. She follows me around sometimes, because her father was friends with my father so…you know…she just…follows…-.

The sarmatian boys kept a respectful silence. They all admired sir Aynor, a former sarmatian knight who has remained in Britain after his service to Rome, because he had fallen in love with a woad, no doubt that little girl’s mother. Now he instructed the boys on their training. However, they didn’t quite fancy the idea of having his daughter tacking along on their adventure to the woods.

She finally reached them.  Normally, a girl her age and size would have been intimidated by the horses they rode, but she walked amongst them as if she’d grown between their legs, and finally hugged her short little arms around the leg of Arthur’s horse.

-I wanna go too-she pleaded, standing on her tiptoes.

Arthur eyed her awkwardly. He didn’t want to seem tender and weak in front of his future knights, after all he was to be their commander, and commanders don’t pay attention to little five-year old girls.

-You can’t, Devy. Go home-he answered, trying to sound stern without hurting the little girl’s feelings. Sir Aynor treasured his daughter above all else, and he’d made it quite clear that if someone ever made Devy cry, he’d cut their ears out and make them eat them.

Devnet pouted, sticking out her lower-lip and making it tremble.

-Why not?-she cried.

-Because you’re too small-interrupted another boy. Devnet stared at him with a childish little frown on her face. He was a big boy, with a hoarse voice and a round face.

-Excuse me-she snapped, placing her hands on her tiny hips, accompanied with a tiny frown she had certainly copied from some woman around the fortress-But I’ve known how to ride since I was two…and by the way, you’re holding the reins all wrong. The horse’s head is supposed to be straight, not turned to the left, you …you-she searched her limited five year old vocabulary for a proper insult-you stupid cow-she finally stated, rather satisfied with herself.

The boys laughed at the burly one, mocking the fact he’d been out-smarted by a five year old girl

-Apparently she’d not too small to kick your ass, Bors-cracked one.

-Let her come, Arthur-.

Devnet turned to the boy who had interrupted the laughing; a top of a very big black horse. He must have been around nine, since he looked just about Arthur's age He had a small smile on his white face. His hair, dark and curly, twisted in every direction, and fell over his coal-black eyes. The little girl couldn’t help but blush faintly and stare at the ground, digging into the earth with the tip of her boot. She bagged her eyelashes shyly and smiled.

-What?-the young Castus seemed surprise by his companion’s request.

-Let her come-repeated the boy-I like her, she’s funny-.

-We don’t have a spare horse-grunted Arthur. He’d hoped to have an all-boys ride were he could practise his future position as a commander. He didn’t want Devy stealing the attention.

-She’ll ride with me-said the boy, and winked in her direction, causing her to giggle and reached out for him to pull her up. He sat her in front of him, throwing his arms around her-Besides, I have a feeling that even if we don’t let her come, she’ll follow us on those chubby little legs of hers- he flashed a charming smile at her.

 Devnet clapped giddily, happy someone had come in her defence, and aimed for the reins.

-No, no, no-said the boy, taking them away from her hands-If you want to come, you’ll have to let me use the reins, okay?-.

She gave a tiny whiny sight and nodded, plopping herself against the boys stomach.

-Oh, fine. She can come, I guess-agreed Arthur, even though he knew she would’ve tagged along anyway, since she was already mounted.

They’d turned their horses and headed towards the gates. Devy felt quite important and pleased with herself, for she had managed to go with the big boys. The boys were jesting with each other, except for the one she was riding with.

-So, Devy-he broke the silence, with a friendly tone-What’s your full name?-.

-Devnet-she answered, turning her round little head to look at him-It means “poet”. My mum named me. It’s a celtic name-she chipped rather proudly. She reached out and played with a small pendant in the boy’s chest, with the shape of a fanged beast-What’s yours?-she asked.

The boy grinned softly at her, taping the tip of her freckly nose with his index.

-Im Lancelot-.

*Author's Note: Well people, hello hello. This fanfic  turned into a very important story for me because it helped me move to a world were demons could actually be destroyed and life is different and exciting. I really want to know what people think so far of the first few chapters, what they like, what they don't, any advice or praise, whatever crosses your mind, so comments and votes and all of that will be very appreciated. Hope you guys continue in having an amazing day! Love, Lacrimeah