Chapter Twenty-Six

The night felt long. Jade sat awake at the edge of her bed, staring out the window into the deep black void of space. She felt utterly empty and alone. Knowing her brother, her sweet twin brother, was alive but hated her. She couldn't help but think of her parents too.

Were they looking down at her with the same disgrace as Lyle felt? There was no way to know, she just hoped it wouldn't be true. Gripping onto her necklace, she glanced over her shoulder at a sleeping Kylo. A small part of her was angry with him for attacking her brother. Seeing him not letting up just because he was a Resistance member.

Her gut felt sour. She knew he was doing what he thought was right. What he thought was right... That's it. What he thought was right is different from what is right and what is wrong. But, what even is right and wrong? There needed to be a balance, nothing would ever be one sided.

Standing up from her spot, she paced the room back and forth. She still clung to her necklace, turning it over and over again with her fingers. Looking down at it, it struck something further inside her. The moon comes at night to balance out the day. Without the balance of light and dark, their planets would crumble.

There needed to be a balance in everyone or else chaos would continue to reign. Pacing into the bathroom, she stared at the mirror. Seeing her face covered in blood and dirt still from the battle. Her mind went back to the soldier spitting up at her. "First Order scum!"

A balance. That man deserved to die. He was hateful, spiteful. Did he even deserve to be in the Resistance? Shaking her head, getting rid of the thought, she padded over to the bathtub. Turning the knobs to make the water the perfect, hot temperature. She needed a long soak.

Kylo stirred in his sleep when he heard her turn the water on. The light from the bathroom came streaming into the room, waking him up. He sat up, startled, clutching the blankets around him. Last he remembered, he was on Takodana still. What happened?

Trying to recall his memories, he rubbed his face with both hands. The woods were dark, covered by trees. He saw Jade being held by a force. A man's force. Lyle. Guilt filled his bloodstream as he stared down at his palms that rested in front of him. Remembering holding him, airborne, with the force. Not letting go because he is with the Resistance.

Seeing Jade flinging her hand out at him before seeing nothing. Black. She attacked him. Good. I deserved it.

He stood from the bed to go downstairs to get a glass of water. Dressed in full uniform still, he glanced down at the blood stained shirt and pants. His face was expressionless. Reaching the kitchen, he poured a glass and sat at a chair in the living room. Trying to hydrate his dry throat, he gulped down the glass in mere seconds.

As he sat, he felt a sudden tug in the force. He knew it was her. It was Rey.

"I've never felt so alone." Her voice echoed in his mind.

Solemnly, he glanced up to see her sitting in front of him. A warm amber light illuminating her skin. "You're not alone." He wasn't even thinking, just speaking. Speaking from the force.

Her eyes met his, eyeing the filth that covered his face. "Neither are you."

Kylo heard a familiar voice in the distance, muffled by the sounds of rain and thunder. Calling out to the scavenger. His face stayed numb, fixed on hers.

"It isn't too late," she said softly, looking into his eyes for something. Searching for him. Ben. With caution, she held up her hand to him. To touch it. To strengthen the bond between them.

His eyes shot down to her hand, seeing her offer. Reaching for his gloved fingers, he pulled off the leather, revealing his bare skin. His mind was wandering, no longer fixed on thought. Lost in the wonder of the light. Reaching out slowly towards her, his hand shook slightly.