Chapter Seven - Dangling Over The Edge

Start from the beginning

He let out a breath. “Please don’t tell anyone about her. I wasn’t suppose to…”

“I won’t.” I smiled, “Your secret is safe with me.”

Luke returned the smile, if only slightly before he became cold again. “I swear Rosaline, if you tell anyone.”

“I promise Luke.” I held his eyes, showing him that he could trust me. Besides, I loved him. Whoah. Love? That’s a strong word.

I dropped my gaze and my face turned red. Did I really love Luke? The guy who tried to barter me with dad, the guy who tried to kill me to get what he wanted?

Yes. Because I rejected him. And he’s saved me more times than I can count already.

“What are you thinking about?” His voice tore me from my thoughts. I couldn’t tell him, there was no way.

“Uh, nothing.” I blushed a deep shade of red and focused on my thumbs as I twirled them.

He snorted, “Nothing? Cause I believe that.”

I rolled my eyes, “I never said you had to believe it.”

“Okay. Okay.” Luke smirked and shook his head, “You were probably thinking about me anyway.”

“What?” I gasped, “How did you- I mean, how did you come up with that?” I caught myself, thankfully.

He grinned. “I just got a warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of my stomach.”

“I could have been thinking about anything.” I argued.

“But you weren’t.” He told me confidently, “You were Jealous of Miranda before too, do you, dare I say, like me?”

“What? No.” I denied quickly. “I thought that Miranda was the girl that you were-shopping with.” I reworded.

“So you were jealous.” He nodded.

“Ugh.” I sighed and buried my head in my knees. My face turned red again, how embarrassing.

“If it makes you feel any better I thought it was cute.” He offered.

“And how is that supposed to make me feel better?” I asked through my knees.

Chuckling he said, “Just cause.”

“Are you and Jess…” I trailed off looking for the right word, “Together?”

He was silent for a moment, looking down at his hands before he sighed and met my gaze. I felt the tears swell in my eyes and I quickly blinked them away as he spoke. “Yeah, she’s….great.”

“That’s good.” I nodded, “You deserve to have the best. What ever you want. You deserve to be happy.”

“I do.” He agreed.

I nodded again and then looked out over to the woods. I saw a streak of grey then another and another. Something was wrong.

‘She gone.’ Rang in my mind over and over again, thats when you could hear and audible growl come from the woods. Luke and I stood up at the same time, sharing a panic look as I heard fighting.

“Shit.” Luke cursed jumping from the cove and onto the roof where he ran straight for the window. He disappeared and I followed after him, well I tried. Me being me I slipped. Panic filled me as I began to slid down the roof trying to find something to grip onto but I couldn’t find anything. I let out a shriek of help just as my feet dangled over the edge, I gripped the edge of the roof tightly but due to being nervous I felt my palms sweat.

“Help.” I sobbed helplessly. Another growl from the woods echoed and then I heard them.

‘Rose?!’ The voice echoed. ‘Hold on!’

‘Someone catch her!’

‘Go up there and grab her!’

“What’s goin-?” I heard Lucas below and I closed my eyes. Don’t look down. Luke’s overwhelming worry crept around me and felt my fingers beginning to slip.

“Luke!” Dozens of voices shouted, what was going on? I gingerly stared down and wished I didn’t. I was so high, I had butterflies in my stomach plus I didn’t see Luke anywhere.

‘Hold on.’ Lucas chanted in my head, ‘don’t let go.’

The sweat on my hands had already increased a tenfold from looking down so I wasn’t sure how much long I could hold on.

‘I’m slipping.’ I cried silently. Just then my fingers gave out and I was falling.

“LUKE!” I screamed as loud as I could but it was drowned out by a loud, “NO!” from above.

I closed my eyes, waiting for the pain to hit, for my life to be over. And Again I was surprised when I landed on in a cradle of arms. Opening my eyes I saw Daniel and Chris on either side of me.

I began to cry and was gently set on my feet, once I was I grabbed both of them hugging them as tight as possible. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. So much.”

Their arms enveloped around me and I let a smile slip across my lips. “I owe you two my life. I won’t ever forget that.” I assured them.

“Rose.” Luke spoke breathlessly from the door. I could tell that he wanted to come over, that he wanted to hold me to make sure I was okay after nearly dying but he kept his distance from my pack.

‘I’m fine.’ I smiled at him, ‘Thank you for trying to save me.’

He let out a breath, ‘I thought I really lost you this time.’

“Come on Rosaline, let’s get you out of here.” Chris spoke as he threw an arm around my shoulder. I nodded and followed him to the car.

Maybe I should just stay away from roofs from now on, or maybe just not go to school. Maybe I shouldn’t leave the house in general, I seem to always find trouble.