Chapter Eleven - The City

Rex, slowly waking from the embrace of sleep, heard knocking at the door

Emerging from his veritable nest of blankets, he blinked a few times, and lurched toward the entrance to his quarters. Someone was knocking – someone was knocking at the door!

The novelty was enough for his mind to awaken properly, and he shook away the last dregs of exhaustion.

As had become his habit the past few weeks, he had fallen asleep in sword-practice clothes. He made sure to wear his gloves, and went to see who could possibly be at the door. It must be urgent and important, he knew, and the anticipation knotted his stomach.

Rex opened the door, and schooled his expression into one of neutrality. Inside, he was grumbling and cursing his luck, while desperately hoping that this visit had nothing to do with the vigilantes "terrorizing" the districts of Thallium.

"Governor," he acknowledged softly. Naturally it would be the Governor, here to see him bleary-eyed and in sleep-rumpled clothes, far from the composure expected of the four lines.

Rex, despite the irritation and nervousness rising within him, kept silent; the man in front of him was notorious for speaking when it suited him and abhorring idiotic, self-apparent questions. 

"Well met, Prince Rexeus," the Governor rumbled, severe and imposing and haggard all at once. He was being worn thin, what with the constant threat of the raiders, and now the appearance of red-cloaked enemies of the state.

It was unfortunate that their nightly activities were causing problems for one of the only adults, save Cook, that Rex respected, but it was not nearly enough for him to stop helping others.

"For this rest day, the council believes it would be beneficial for the other heirs of the four lines to explore the City, to acquaint themselves with the environment they will be living in for the foreseeable future."

Another consequence of going out at night in red cloaks, fortunate in this case – the council had decided it would be best for Ander, Xatho, Athol, and Adrien to stay at the Gray Palace indefinitely, for security reasons.

"You will be their guide on this day. Be back before the curfew bell. There will be a larger contingent of Swordsmen patrolling the City, and it is expected for them to be alerted if there is any issue or concern." There will not be a repeat of the last time, the Governor's gaze implied.

'Twas true that his last excursion to the City, before his friends had come to the Gray Palace and he had met Abraxan, had not ended well, and the Governor had been forced to rescue him from an...embarrassing situation.

Who knew that earnestly telling the truth when asked about a gambling house's immoral practices would result in being threatened with bodily harm, nevermind that he was still the Crown Prince?

Anastasia had not stopped teasing him about it, albeit in her gentle way. That was why Rex kept silent for the most part, seeing as the game of words and lies was not his forte.