Chapter Seventeen; The Trunk Maker

~Phoenix Orion Rigel Malfoy~
~Harry James Potter~

The next five days were spent getting to know my new family better and preparing for Hogwarts. Narcissa-Mum had begun teaching me etiquette and wizarding history for the three hours between breakfast and lunch, Lucius would teach me wizarding politics and how to act properly for two hours after lunch, and Severus would then begin to teach me the basics of the curriculum-I truly enjoyed Potions, as well as Charms. I couldn't wait to get my wand and try some of the spells I'd been learning. Uncle Severus had been teaching both Draco and I using sticks so we could learn the wand movements. Alya enjoyed sleeping in my bed during the night and moving to the enchanted pillow during the day.

Friday morning came sooner than I'd expected, and all too soon I was gathering Alya, Pluto, Saros, Auberon, and Astrid so we could head back to the trunk shop to meet Mr. Ross' son and get my trunk before we moved over to the Magical Menagerie to meet and begin getting the snakes settled within the trunk.

"Good morning, Nix, ready to head down to breakfast? Mum said we're going to eat before we go, since we have such a busy day ahead of us." Draco leaned in the doorway to my room, Acadia perching gracefully on his shoulder.

Grinning, I walked carefully over to him and hugged him, being careful not to bump Acadia or Alya, since she was on my shoulders. The two of them had come to an uneasy truce-Acadia and Alya were both predators, and while Draco's snake was off limits since Acadia could tell how much Draco adored them both, she had at first considered Alya fair game. A mistake on her part, since I had swatted her out of the air, angry that she would attack my friend. Draco had been angry with me at first, but eventually after I refused to speak to him for an hour after he called Alya 'just a ruddy snake', he had apologized to both of us, and assured he would make sure Acadia behaved herself, as long as Alya did as well. "I'm all set, I've fed everyone else, and I have everyone with me, so lets go get some food, shall we Drake?"

Linking arms with me, he nodded, "Absolutely, Nix. Acadia doesn't want to join us on our shopping trip, but she does want some bacon, so she's joining us for breakfast."

Chuckling, we made our way downstairs to the dining room where Lucius, Uncle Severus and Narcissa waited. I gave everyone a hug before sitting down in my usual spot next to Narcissa. Patiently using all the etiquette I had learned over the past couple days to eat like a proper noble. Narcissa chuckled, "You don't have to use all your skills for breakfast, Phoenix, it's a simple family affair. No one to show off for. I'd rather we simply eat and get going-we have to get your trunk, pick up the snakes, and finish you and Draco's Hogwarts shopping. That way, you have a few weeks to practice getting used to your wand."

Grinning excitedly up at her, I exclaimed, "We get to use our wands before we go to Hogwarts???"

Leaning over and kissing the top of my head, she replied, "Of course. As you live with adult wizards, especially a noble family, you and Draco are monitored far less than those that live with muggles. You see, it's unfair, but older families have special spells that their families have come up with and passed down, but it's magic that isn't taught at Hogwarts, so we have to be able to practice it at home. It's unfair for muggle-born, but as long as you're practicing with an adult witch or wizard, the trace will not go off, as it's only a proximity spell."

Frowning slightly, I asked, "Did the Potter family have any family magic??"

Lucius nodded, "Your family leaned two ways when they joined careers, they either became Aurors, or Potioneers. Your family magic is well known to be battle magic, but unfortunately it is something you would have to wait till you're older to learn. We, as we are not Potters by blood or magic, are not able to even touch the Potter Family Grimoire. However, almost every Ancient and Noble family has a grimoire, so I imagine the families you descend from would also have family magic. The only family magic I can teach you, however, is Malfoy Magic. We are well known for enchanting, and for unfortunately, dark curses. I, myself, only wished to learn the enchanting. My father was a bastard, however, and made me practice both."