Chapter Twelve; Severus Snape

~Severus Snape~

I waited inside the hallway as three echoing cracks sounded outside, making me wonder who had come with Lucius and Cissy, and if perhaps I should move to another room. Before I could leave, the front door opened and in walked three blondes, a silver-haired man, and a brunette. My eyes zeroed in on the shortest person and I growled under my breath, planning to hurry out of the room when Draco spoke, "Sev! You're here!" I turned, seeing the blonde hurrying towards me, and opened my arms in preparation for a hug.
Lucius and Narcissa were both smiling, Narcissa's hand on the shoulder of the short brunette. I wrapped Draco in a hug, "Your father sent me a missive requesting that I come and become your tutor during summers and of course, has offered me the estates potions lab to send out potions for my contracts with St. Mungo's and several potions shops during your school year, and I am debating taking the job. Draco...Who is your new friend?"
Draco pulled back, smiling up at me, before he stepped back beside his parents and said, "Harry Potter, Sev, but soon he'll be Phoenix, my younger brother. We're adopting him."
"You are...Adopting The-Boy-Who-Lived?"
Lucius stepped forward and said, "We will explain in a few moments, Severus. There were extenuating circumstances. Regardless, I am sure you will, at the very least, listen to our reasons?" I nodded once in reply.
Lucius turned to the boy and said, "Phoenix, why don't you go with Draco and he can show you the family wing, and Mr. Eeylops can go with you and perhaps he can help you set up an incubation area within your room for your familiars."
The older man, Mr. Eeylops, nodded and followed Draco and Potter out of the room and up the stairs, out of sight. Lucius motioned me into the nearest sitting room and stated softly, "Draco and I went today for his inheritance test today, to see if he had a creature and if he did, which one. However, today was also apparently the day that Dumbledore sent that oaf Hagrid to retrieve Harry. He was adamant that they simply get a withdrawal, attempting to stop the boy from meeting with his account manager."
Narcissa reached over, smoothing a hand over Lucius' fist and taking his hand in hers. Lucius sent her a brief smile before continuing, "Eventually, Harry told Hagrid to leave and met on his own with his account manager. Draco and I were just heading to check in with our account manager, we have the same account manager, and I barely managed to catch Harry before he passed out...Severus, he had to have a cleansing done."
Shock and horror fought for dominance in my mind as it ran through all the possible reasons a young boy his age could need a cleansing. Narcissa spoke next, "I received a fire call from Gringotts stating that I was needed because Lucius had become enraged and his creature had taken over. When I got there, I found out that not only had Lucius fully transformed, but that it was not due to anything to do with Draco, and Draco was not the first to be gathered within his wings. We cannot share the specifics with you about his condition or why he needed a cleansing without his permission-but I can tell you this," her eyes burned fiercely into mine, "That boy is not James Potter, Severus, and has been put through Hell and back. You may not have cared for his father, nor for his godfather, and I don't care how much you cared for his mother, but you will not treat him unkindly."
I inclined my head for a moment before I said, "So whatever it is you learned about the boy-that's why you're adopting him?"
Lucius squeezed Narcissa's hand and said, "You know that we always wished for another child, Severus, but have been unable to conceive. My creature side has chosen Harry, soon to be named Phoenix, as our child. I gathered him before I gathered Draco. Draco-he cares for him, deeply, already. Draco's creature side was also triggered by Harry. He was able to smell the bruises on him. When they were within my wings, Draco's creature cooed alongside my own in an attempt to calm Harry. If that is not a sign that the boy is meant to be a part of our family, then I do not know what is."

I sighed, rubbing my forehead, and said, "Have you adopted him yet? Are you using the Old Ways?"
Lucius nodded and said, "We couldn't do it today. He was too drained from the cleansing. We are, indeed, using the Old Ways. We are hoping that you will agree to be his godfather."
I felt stunned, "You...Lucius, are you mad??? I am not fit to be the godfather of Harry Potter!"
Narcissa frowned slightly, "You had been reconciling with the Potters before their death. Rumor has it that Lily was pregnant at the time of her death, that you were to be the child's godfather. Why are you not fit to be his godfather?"
"He is Harry Potter! I'm the reason his parents are dead! If I hadn't of heard the prophecy-"
Lucius cut me off, "You were under the imperius curse, Severus, Abraxas was controlling you!"
I shook my head, "It doesn't matter, Lucius, it still happened!"
A voice sounded from behind us, "It does matter, Mr. Snape sir. If you couldn't control what happened-if someone was using magic on you, then you can't stop yourself. I don't blame you, and I doubt my parents would either. They knew, didn't they, that you were the one who leaked it to Voldemort?"
I turned sharply, noticing the boy walk tiredly into the room with Draco next to him. Lowering my voice I stated, "Yes, they knew, Mr. Potter. They were working on forgiving me when they perished."
Potter shrugged and said, "I have nothing against you, sir. Draco loves you very much, and so do Lucius and Narcissa. I won't force you to become my godfather, but please, if you could wait until you hear everything about me before you decide. Lucius, Narcissa, Draco, I give you permission to discuss my private matters with Severus Snape." He yawned, "I'm going to bed. Please, Mr. Snape sir, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like you to swear an oath as well."