Chapter Seven; Discussing The Future

~Harry Potter~

Lucius shook his head and said, "Will he retain his Lordships once he's been fully blood-adopted?"

Grappleclaw nodded and said, "Once he has accepted them, they will stay with him no matter the name he takes. The only problem you may run into is with his Potter inheritance. It may not be so...Willing to let go. He is, after all, a Potter first and foremost."

His gaze turned directly to me and he said, "I believe at some point the adoption ritual will become painful as your Potter blood fights to keep you a Potter. For that reason alone, I suggest that you brace yourself. You may retain a bit more of your Potter genes than is strictly normal, but we shall see. For now, let's get these Lordships done with. I want you to take the Potter Lord ring and place it on your right ring finger." I did as he said, taking the proffered box, and putting the ring on my right ring finger, watching with awe as it shrunk to fit me perfectly. Grappleclaw smiles and said, "Let's continue down the line. I do believe it was the Black Lordship." Once again, I fit the ring onto my finger-my right middle this time. The process continued until we finished with the lordship rings and heirship rings. I felt odd afterwards, like I was experiencing a dizzy spell or maybe an adrenaline rush.

Lucius laid a land on my shoulder and said, "I can imagine you're feeling a rather floaty feeling, right now, Harry. Are you okay?"

I nodded and said, "I-I feel strangely. The room is spinning a bit. Am I going to change my name, sir?"

Lucius crouched next to me and said, "Would you like to?"

I nodded and said, "Everyone will know it, won't they?? I don't want everyone to know me for that. I really don't. I've always been a freak, and I-I'd like to be normal, or at least by wizarding standards."

Draco stuck his nose in the air in a fake haughty way and said, "Excuse me! The Malfoys are not normal by wizarding standards! We are nobility!!" I looked at him oddly and he burst into a fit of giggles and said, "But no, seriously, Harry. The Malfoy family is well known. I doubt you will be looked at if you're normal."

I shook my head and said, "Then at least I wouldn't be known as 'The Boy Who Lived'. I'm only alive because my mother sacrificed herself, and because both my parents innate sacrifice to keep me alive actually protected me. I don't want to be Harry Potter, Savior of the wizarding world. I didn't save the wizarding world. If anyone did, it was my parents."

Narcissa nodded and said, "His current guardians...Will you have any difficulty getting them to sign off?"

Grappleclaw shook his head and replied, "No, certainly not. I've already dispatched a group of my rather...Undiplomatic cursebreaking groups to gather their signature. All with a vow of silence, of course. They wouldn't cross me if they want to live."

I chuckled a little and asked, "Can we do it today, sir?"

Grappleclaw shook his head, "I'm afraid not, Harry, because you've already taxed your body with the cleansing. We don't want to overtax it. I would like you all to stay here long enough for the group to come back with the signatures, and then I'll pass guardianship to Mr. And Mrs. Malfoy, and in a few days you can come back and we can do the ritual. You'll need to find him a live godfather. We'll need as much magic and support as we can get."

Lucius nodded and stated, "I was thinking the boys should have the same godfather. Of course, if he'll agree to it."

Draco looked shocked as he sputtered, "You plan to ask Severus to be Harry's godfather?? He hates the Potters!"

I looked between them, confused, "Who is Severus and why does he hate my family??"

Lucius looked over, meeting my gaze as he explained, "Severus Snape is one of the only true friends I made during my stay at Hogwarts. He was...He was bullied rather horribly by your father and his friends. Make no mistake, he gave as good as he got most of the time. However, his childhood best friend was your mother, Lily. I am hoping that we can show him that you are not your father. Worst comes to worst, I'll find another person to be your godfather. However, I am hopeful."

I nodded slowly and said, "Okay."

Draco burst out, "Okay? Okay?! That's all you have to say about all that information?!"

I shrugged and said, "Just because my father was a bully to Mr. Snape doesn't mean he was a bad guy overall. Also, if he knew my mother...maybe he can tell me a little about her. I still want to be a part of your family but...I know next to nothing about my parents or even my family in general. Petunia wouldn't tell me anything. She only lied to me."

Narcissa smiles softly and said, "Well, Lucius and I were in our seventh year when your parents and their friends, including Severus, came as first years. Your mother was very kind, even to Slytherins who were considered the pariah of the school. She continued her friendship with Severus until their fifth year. She also never gave your father a chance. He adored her from the beginning but she considered him too arrogant, too much of a bully. He changed after fifth year, becoming the man you should be proud of. He fought to keep you and your mother and everyone safe. You needn't be happy that he died to save you, or that your mother did, but you should be proud of them. They did what was right, and what they considered necessary for your safety."

I nodded and said, "That does make me feel better. When I thought they died in a car crash it was...it was devastating but it was out of their control...When I learned that I was hailed as that stupid boy who lived...It hurt. I wouldn't want to be a savior. I'd rather have my parents."