𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺𝘵𝘸𝘰

Start from the beginning

i got up and walked to his room, i tried to gently turn the knob but it wouldn't budge. he locked it. i knocked lightly on the door, when he said nothing, i knocked again but louder.

"what?" he snapped.

even though he was on the other side of the door, i flinched. he only acted like this when he was drunk, is that what it is? is he drunk? but why would he be drinking again? everything was going good.

"um, are you okay?" i asked.

i heard footsteps, then the door opened. jack seemed taller when he was angry, bigger. his eyes were darker and his face that held his sweet smile was wiped completely of emotion.

"do i look okay?"

"are you drunk?"

"so i have to be drunk in order to be able to be angry?"

"no i just, no."

he stared at me for a minute, arms crossing over his chest, making them look more muscly that usual.

"do you want to talk?" i finally asked.

"yeah sure. let's talk, come in." he said sarcastically.

jack had never talked to me this way, i mean there's a first for everything. but i couldn't help feel like this is just a joke, jack never got angry at me. had i even done anything for him to be angry at me about?

"so, what's uh, what's going on?" my voice was trembling, god i sounded so pitiful.

"let's talk about how you've been lying to me ever since i came home."

what?

"excuse me?"

"don't play dumb gia. seriously don't."

"i'm not playing dumb, i actually don't know what you're talking about."

"nate! that's what i'm talking about! this entire time we've been together you've been using me to get back at him! you've been using me to help yourself forget about him!" he was yelling, he was trying so hard to keep his voice steady.

i couldn't even speak. i was shocked by his words, they punched me in the gut. how could he think that? how could he think that after everything nate has done to me that i would care enough to get back at him? how could he think that every moment we've spent together, was to make me forget about nate?

were my feelings not obvious? were the emotions i felt for him not obvious? as i looked at him, his chest rising and falling quickly, his lip quivering, his red face, my question was answered.

"how could you think that?" i asked.

"how could i not? it's pretty fucking obvious! i'm not a rebound gia! you aren't going to use me to make yourself feel better, it's not fair!"

jack was hurt, i don't know who put this idea into his head, or if he came up with it himself, but he was hurting.

"i know it's not jack, which is why i would never do that to you. if i was just using you as a rebound i wouldn't have made a commitment to you. i wouldn't officially be with you. i wouldn't support your music the way i do."

i walked over to him, his body language was making me nervous. from my past experience, if i step too far and he lashed out, it'll be my fault.

but jack isn't nate, and i can't continue to treat him like he is.

i hesitantly put my hand on the side of his face,

"i honestly don't know why you would think i would treat you that way jack. you mean more to me than that, and nate definitely doesn't mean enough for me to do that because of him either. look at me. can you tell me that you believe, without a doubt, i would do that?"

"i don't know what you would do gia."

looking back on it, i see he wasn't saying it to be rude or hurtful. he was saying it because that's how he felt, he didn't know for sure if i would hurt him or not. he was second guessing his trust for me.

i lifted my hand from his face and stepped back.

"so you think i would do that to you?"

"i don't know! everyone who i thought would never hurt me turned out to do the exact thing they promised not to! why would you be any different?"

"why wouldn't i be?"

i was getting angry at him, deep down i knew i shouldn't have been. he was hurt, confused, scared, insecure, it wasn't his fault. it wasn't mine either, but the fact that he was blaming it on me was what pissed me off.

"you know, when madison told me-"

"i'm going to have to stop you right there, madison told you that you were a rebound? madison as in your ex? madison as in the one who broke up with you?"

now i was definitely pissed. i shouldn't have expected so much from jack in one month. of course he would still talk to his ex. they were together for almost two years!

"yes. does that bother you gia? does that bother you that my ex is still in my life?" now he was being petty.

"you're ridiculous jack. i would never treat you that way, and deep down you know that. do you not see what madison is doing? can you honestly say you think she has good intentions? this is exactly what she wants!"

"well maybe she's right."

"are you fucking serious jack? if you honestly think i would do that to you then maybe you didn't know me as well as i thought you did."

"maybe i don't!"

he reached his hands up to run them through his hair, but in that split second, he did it so fast. and i flinched, putting my hands up around my face.

"did you think i was going to hit you?"

i let my hands fall, then took a step back. after swearing jack wasn't nate, i reacted to him just like he was, i knew it hurt him.

"n-no."

"yes you did, why? did nate hit you?"

i was silent. everything was happening too fast and i was getting whiplash, was he angry or concerned? i was flooded with mixed emotions and i couldn't be in front of him right now.

"did he hit you gia?"

"i-i have to go."

i walked out of his room and into the guest bedroom. i couldn't leave the house, vincent was here. i locked the door then went into the bathroom, locking that one too.

i slid down the door.

"you cannot be serious gia."

"what nate?"

"you know what! you cheating on me with that boy from your french class? i know you were with him after school!"

"no nate! of course not! our teacher assigned me to tutor him and help him since finals were coming up! i would never do that!"

i reached out to touch him but he pushed my hands away.

"like i'm supposed to believe that. get the fuck out of my face, i don't even want to look at you right now."

"why do you do this? i can't even have any friends without you thinking i'm doing something behind your back! i'm so tired of you treating me like-"

i was cut off by a harsh stinging on the side of my face, he had slapped me.