Chapter 1: Never Let You Go

Start from the beginning

Chrom: I'm Chrom, the leader of the Shepherds. Your quick hands are something we could use! Care to join us?

The boy appeared stunned speechless. I couldn't exactly blame him. He just tried to steal from my Father, and now he was offering him to join us? I voiced my concerns, even if a part of me wished him to join us.

Lucina: Father, are you sure about this? He just tried to steal from you!

He dismissed me with a wave of his hand.

Chrom: It'll be fine! We do need someone like him. And I can see a look of courage in his eyes. We would gain a lot from him joining us.

I looked him in the eye, and immediately understood what my father meant. There was an air of confidence around him. Combined with the skills he exhibited earlier...

???: Wh-what exactly are the Shepherds?

Chrom: I guess you could call us mercenaries!

He seemed to genuinely consider the idea, before finally making his decision.

???: I think I'll take you up on that offer.

He shook Father's hand again. "I'm Y/N, by the way."

Y/N... what a nice name...

Chrom: Glad to hear that! Okay, come on everybody! We're off!

The rest of the Shepherds, who had been watching us, started walking again, following my Father through the crowd. I gazed up, and realized that I was still holding Y/N's hand.

Lucina: O-oh, sorry!

I smiled, and let go of his hand. He looked at me, and politely smiled back. We started walking together, a bit behind the rest of the Shepherds.

Y/N: I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name.

Lucina: It's Lucina.

Y/N: Lucina...

He looked up at the sky, as the slightest flush appeared on his cheeks. He stuck out a hand. "Glad to meet you!"

Lucina: You too!

As we left the village behind us, me and Y/N started to talk. We told each other of our backgrounds, and everything we had gone through.

I couldn't help but feel that this would be the start of a great relationship.

--Two Years Ago--
--Y/N POV-- 
We were running towards a village on the outskirts of Ylisse, where we had been sent to stop some Plegian soldiers who were said to be looting the place. Robin, our tactician, had started pairing us up, as we would be stronger that way.

Robin: Y/N, you'll be paired with Lucina!

Y/N: Roger that!

Lucina sidled up to me as we ran through a forest. I gulped. She looked so elegant when she was running. Blue hair waving in the wind... Determined look on her face...

Lucina: So, I guess that makes us partners?

I looked wistfully into the distance. "Yeah... partners..."

--Lucina POV--
I watched Y/N's quick and confident strides across the landscape. It made him look so... manly... I shook myself once again. Recently, I found that it took me more willpower to focus on my goal- defeating Grima. Every time I tried to think about my well-thought out plan, Y/N appeared in my head. I couldn't explain why...

Without realizing it, we made it to the village. 

Y/N: Hey, Lucina, I'm going to head over there and take care of the archers, got it?