Chapter 1

"Andrew, hurry up!" I called, frantically beckoning at my younger brother. "If you don't hurry, we could get another week of dish duty!"

Andrew hastily scrambled out of the house. Together, we dashed to school. Flinging the gate open, we both rushed to our corresponding academic blocks.

There were three blocks at School. The First Block was for all the Masters. The Second Block was for all the mixed classes – classes where both Masters and Slaves learn. Only the best students were allowed to join those classes. The Third Block was for the teachers. Slaves had to stand out in the scorching sun to learn while the teachers stood inside their designated building.

I was a bright Slave, and thus I had gained admission into the Second Block. However, there were only a few Slaves and the existing Slaves there were bullied by the Masters.

Trembling, I cautiously entered the pristine white block. I heaved a sigh of relief – there was nobody there. No sooner had I stepped into the block than a rough hand pulled me back and shoved me to the ground. The torn and tattered books that I had carried in my ripped bag scattered across the ground. My hair was all over my face. "Hey!" I yelped, annoyed.

"Oh look! Poor little Slave tripped over her own rotten slippers!" a mocking voice taunted, cackling. Leonard, I thought to myself. Leonard was the infamous bully in the Second Block. He and his 'faithful' gang seemed to run the place. He enjoyed tormenting Slaves. For some reason, all the female Masters found that cute and were swooning over him. Spitting the hair out of my mouth, I tried to get up but to no avail. One of Leonard's henchmen, Jake, pushed me back, grabbed my ripped bag and tore it into two.

"Hey! Why did you do that?" I cried helplessly, frowning. Just then, a teacher walked by. Uh oh, I gulped.

"Spinnet! Haven't you learnt manners yet? Get up, apologise and gather your books! Another weeks' mopping it is for you!" my History teacher, Mr. Roberts, reprimanded.

Hastily getting up, I looked at the floor and muttered, "I'm sorry, Mr. Leonard and Mr. Roberts. I will gather my books and take my leave." Guffawing maliciously, the gang strode past me. Fury took over me and I yearned to grab one of my books and chuck it at Leonard.

But, I couldn't. I was a Slave. And I was called a Slave for a reason – because it was true. If only there was a way I could change that.

"Hey, let me help you here," an amiable voice said. I looked up. A boy about my age with a mop of wavy brown hair and warm brown eyes was gathering my books for me. The features on his face were chiselled. He was dressed to the nines! I stared in shock. He's definitely a Master... Why's he helping a Slave like me? I thought, confused. Just then, the boy caught a glance of my confused face. My face flushing, I resumed picking up my books. The boy chuckled. "Hi, I'm Thomas. Thomas Brite," he introduced, offering his hand to me. I gaped. Brite...I've heard that name before...I thought inwardly. Realisation struck me.

"Mr. Brite! You're the son of Mark Brite, the leader of this city! My apologies, Master. You should not be helping a Slave like me!" I cried, my eyes widening. Thomas Brite stood up. He was slightly taller than me.

"Call me Thomas. It doesn't matter whether I'm the son of the leader of the city. I'm still human, just like you. What's your name?" he stated.

I was awed at his humility. Such a powerful Master, asking me to call him by his first name? I've got to be dreaming! "Spinnet. Leah Spinnet," I answered back, looking at the floor, blushing.

"Nice to meet you, Leah. I'll see you in class," Thomas smiled before leaving. A small smile plastered itself onto my face as I watched him walk towards my classroom.

Thomas Brite was one of a kind.