chapter 1

"Kimura Akari?" My homeroom teacher called out my name and I quickly raised my hand in response.

He pointed to the door and said, "Please follow me outside."

I stood up from my chair and walked past my classmates to the door. My teacher stopped right outside the classroom, in the middle of the hallway and handed me a piece of paper.

"Do you see anything wrong?", he asked.

My eyes widened and my hands squeezed the sides of the paper. It was my physics test. And I had received a 42% on the paper even after I had studied so hard for it.

"Your physics scores are surprisingly low considering you basically get full scores for every other subject. I expect that you will do something about it before you have to take your mid-year exams."

"Yes, sir." I nodded.

"Now that you know, you may return to your seat."

"Thank you."

I returned the paper to him and walked back into the classroom with my head held down. And class progressed as usual.

_____

"I can't believe Mr. Kizuki called you outside in the middle of homeroom like that. It got everyone curious about it", Sayoko said as she slid her chair next to mine. "What did he even say to you?"

"He told me to get my shit together for physics."

"Is this about the recent test? How bad did you get? It can't be THAT bad-"

" 42%"

"Oh shit, it is THAT bad."

I heaved out a sigh and laid on my table. Sayoko has been my closest friend since the first year of high school started 4 months ago. She knows how high the expectations my parents set for me and that I set for myself are, and a 42% is unacceptable.

"Come on, don't keep on sulking, you should eat something. It is recess after all. Maybe you'll even feel a bit better after you eat." She pulled out a variety of bread from her school bag.

I sat up and took the cream-filled bun from her. "Thanks, Sayoko."

Sayoko laid her hands on the table and her tone shifted. "Ok, now to address the problem at hand."

I nodded as I took a bite out of my bread.

"I've tried tutoring you for physics and we both know that that didn't turn out so well. Maybe you could ask someone else for help?"

"BUT YOU'RE LITERALLY ONE OF THE SMARTEST PEOPLE IN THIS CLASS, WHO ELSE DO I ASK?"

She gave me that "you know who I'm talking about" look. No, she can't be thinking about him. I was super confident that I'd take first place for the entrance exams because there weren't many difficult physics questions, but that asshole took my first place spot and we've been rivals ever since.

"You seriously can't be thinking about Tsukishima."

"He IS your last option."

"NO."

"But, you need his help, Akari."

"NO." I let out another sigh of defeat. "Can you just try tutoring me again? Please?"

"C'mon Akari, you know that it's not gonna make a difference."

"I don't want to ask him. I'd have to lower my pride for that. AND if I ask him for help, I'm basically saying he's better than me."

"But he is better than you."

I wanted to to make an argument on how he wasn't but Sayoko cut me off before I could say anything.

"If it makes anything a bit easier, I'll try ask Yamaguchi first. And I'll be right beside you when you ask Tsukishima, ok?"

"Fine." I rolled my eyes and took one last bite of my cream bun.

_____

The school bell rang. It was finally time to go home. I was just about to walk out the classroom, but Sayoko caught my hand. "I talked to Yamaguchi at lunch and he said you could probably ask Tsukishima today. They have to attend to their volleyball club this afternoon, so meet them at the gym."

"Wait... why are you talking as if you're not coming with me?" My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm sorry Akari, but you'll have to ask him by yourself. Something unexpected happened and I have to attend a student council meeting. Tell me what happens later, ok?"

"B-But."

"Sorry Akari, I have to go. See you tomorrow." She waved me goodbye.

I was at a loss for words. In my reluctance, I started to walk in the direction of the gym. As I walked down the stairs, I thought about how this whole thing could go wrong. Once Tsukishima sees how pathetic I am, he'd probably start laughing uncontrollably. I clenched my fist. That fucking asshole.

I knew that we weren't the only ones that saw each other as rivals. Our teachers and even our classmates could sense the tension between us. It would be much easier to ignore it, if a certain someone would stop glaring at me every time I beat him in Maths. And I'm pretty sure Yamaguchi isn't fond of me either, considering the two are basically inseparable.

Before I knew it, I was standing right outside the gym doors. It's never too late to turn back, Akari. I paused for a second. You know what? Fuck it. But before I could even push open the door, I realised that someone had just stepped out.

"Kimura?"